snow caster mods.

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
Eugen Canada

Re: snow caster mods.

Post by Eugen »

Noel, when the chain gets old it gets loose. The way the Case engineers designed it is so that you undo the bolts on one side and rotate the auger holding bracket, which is excentric, hopefully to the next hole. Due to its eccentricity, that will move one side of the auger away from the tractor and tighten the chain. You can already see the problem right? The auger moved away from the housing will reduce the efficiency of snow throwing. I found an old post of Tom Arnold, getting really worked out on this. His point was, the chain is so cheap, why ever use this poorly designed adjustment when you can just replace the chain every few years at a minimal cost?! :violin:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Yes I knew how to adjust the chain Eugen. And the designers made it that way for adjustment. The augers on my John Deere and Ford are fixed in one position. So you can’t not get the auger any closer to the bucket. And you have to change chains on these too over time. But you can adjust the idlers on these to tighten the chain slop. Just a different way of doing it on the Case ones. When you get to the end of adjustment. On any of them. You have to take a link out of the chain or replace it. I really don’t think it would make that much noticeable throwing difference on the Case throwers if there is a little gap. Just my ramble. I’ll look at my others just for fun and see what the gap is. I’m going to have to use one of them today. Snowed all nite. :45:

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:30 pm How much clearance there Dave with those. ?
Hehehehe, domestic duties. :wife:

And in that picture, I can see what looks like your auger sprocket is much smaller than mine. But I get picture tomorrow and see for sure.

Noel
I will be able to go from 1/8" to 7/8" to 1 3/8" depth. with the cam levers

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Harry wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:57 pm I always thought an idler sprocket to take up the slack in the chain would be a good idea. I just haven't got into the engineering of it! What are your ideas of that! :106: :thumbsup:

Keep the Peace
Harry
That is the way I was going to go but when I relaised that it was going to be so small that the bearing would be going ultra high rpms and failures would be a problem . The housing would need some reworking to do it properly . If I had another housing I might try it latter , but I have enough to do right now just finishing this one and getting it out of the shop. If you guys want to try it I will go through what I was thinking.

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:21 pm You would think that if it needed one the Case designers would have put one there. Neither of my Case throwers have any chain idlers. My John Deere snow thrower does have a sprocket chain idler. My Ford thrower has a plastic chain idler. So do the Case ones need one. Or not. ? Hard to say.

Noel
The newer design uses an adjustable bearing on the shaft sprocket and the auger is fixed in one spot .
image.png

Like in the parts diagram .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:59 am
Propane57 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:21 pm You would think that if it needed one the Case designers would have put one there. Neither of my Case throwers have any chain idlers. My John Deere snow thrower does have a sprocket chain idler. My Ford thrower has a plastic chain idler. So do the Case ones need one. Or not. ? Hard to say.

Noel
The newer design uses an adjustable bearing on the shaft sprocket and the auger is fixed in one spot .

image.png

Dave
My caster is like the one you showed, but by moving the sprocket shaft it only tightens it a little. There are three different positions.

Keep the Peace
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Harry wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:48 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:59 am

Noel

image.png

Dave
My caster is like the one you showed, but by moving the sprocket shaft it only tightens it a little. There are three different positions.

Keep the Peace
Harry
I will take a couple of pic. with card board on my caster to illustrate what I see it needs to do it right .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:30 pm How much clearance there Dave with those. ?

And in that picture, I can see what looks like your auger sprocket is much smaller than mine. But I get picture tomorrow and see for sure.

Noel
:whip: :wife: is the only one working right now . Sooo I have to do more around the house until I am able to start working again . Hopefully soon , things are improving . But still have limitations .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:54 am That is the way I was going to go but when I relaised that it was going to be so small that the bearing would be going ultra high rpms and failures would be a problem . The housing would need some reworking to do it properly . If I had another housing I might try it latter , but I have enough to do right now just finishing this one and getting it out of the shop. If you guys want to try it I will go through what I was thinking.

Dave
Why worry about rpm, I don't think it would go past 5000 in that position. Most bearings have 20000 rom limit. Am I missing something?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:48 am

Noel
:whip: :wife: is the only one working right now . Sooo I have to do more around the house until I am able to start working again . Hopefully soon , things are improving . But still have limitations .

Dave
I understand Dave. Just foolin with ya. And I like using that wife emoji. Hehe.

Noel