snow caster mods.

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
ssmewing United States of America

Re: snow caster mods.

Post by ssmewing »

Then the chute tilt you drill and tap the motor traveler nut and jam nut that to the nut and the chute. Use spacers and such to mount the motor. The closure you are to the pivot point the more motion you will get out of the motor.

Attachments
chute tilt mount.jpg
Chute tilt.jpg
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

By far the best modification I did to my sb48 was the chute and the front auger deflector. The taller chute can place the snow where you want it and even further than the original. The front lip on the chute keeps the top of the auger housing from collecting alot of snow. What little that does hit the lip goes back down to go back around. It no longer sprays snow everywhere from the auger. Another plus is I can open my hood all the way. Gonna try and get some wings made up and paint the few parts left in primer before snow comes.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

While not nearly as cool as Jancoe's custom chute, I cut an extra tooth on each side of my chute to allow it to rotate past 180°. To mark the chute, I created a cardboard template from the existing pattern and rotated the template.
Attachments
Chute.jpg
Rotate Right.jpg
Rotate Left.jpg
Ingersoll 4016

Post by MattA »

David - Here are some pictures of my Berco's OEM chute control motors. Feel free to ask any questions or for more pictures.
Attachments
Motor setup
Motor setup
Rotator motor
Rotator motor
Chute motor
Chute motor
Chute motor gears
Chute motor gears
Ingersoll 4016
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I'm thinking to line some of the chute with plastic taken off of old skis :43:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
ssmewing United States of America

Post by ssmewing »

I have never had any issue with snow clogging or sticking to the chute.

But, I have always sanded and repainted the chutes when I get them. That just makes sense, right? When it was new I would bet you the snow came out, no problem.

Remember, adding a liner besides being a lot of time, work, money also just adds a place for moisture to linger and rust your chute out.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

ssmewing wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:55 am I have never had any issue with snow clogging or sticking to the chute.

But, I have always sanded and repainted the chutes when I get them. That just makes sense, right? When it was new I would bet you the snow came out, no problem.

Remember, adding a liner besides being a lot of time, work, money also just adds a place for moisture to linger and rust your chute out.
It makes sense what you're saying Steve, I can't disagree. Mine would need to get sanded to be smooth again. The main surface area is pitted from rust. Depending on snow conditions, mine did get clogged a few times last winter. For this winter I just applied some rust treatment and a coat of spray paint, it's all my time would allow for now. Hopefully for next winter I can do a better job restoring the snowcaster to a better shape.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@Jancoe Only today I had time to look more carefully at your mods. All that you've done looks so well made, I'd really like to see how it throws snow! :O
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Eugen wrote:[mention]Jancoe[/mention] Only today I had time to look more carefully at your mods. All that you've done looks so well made, I'd really like to see how it throws snow! :O
Yes Eugen, all for the better. Im not cleaning off the top of the caster (area all around the chute opening) after I'm done blowing snow. The snow goes further and where I want it. I had planned on making some wing extensions before winter and getting everything painted but timing was off. Having the ability to remove the chute to open the hood is awesome. Lol now that I've made this one I've got some other ideas for another one or two and an idea of a 54" caster but i think I might leave that as an idea.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Post by MattA »

The wider snowcaster may increase the snowcasters tendency to steer the tractor toward the side being pushed into more snow.
Ingersoll 4016