snow caster mods.

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
Eugen Canada

Re: snow caster mods.

Post by Eugen »

I can see the desire to have it wider so the area gets cleaner with fewer laps, but unless you have a really large area to clean, will one foot really make that much of a difference? I do dig the looks beefier looks though. :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
ssmewing United States of America

Post by ssmewing »

I ended up making 3 kits. But, that is it, no more this year.

I get pulled in too many directions sometimes. I come up with ideas and share them. Some guys can copy them, some need it to do for them.

Some cannot even wire a DPDT switch for motor reversing, which is not a common thing to do, really. But, there are a lot of details to get the right parts I guess.

Last year I was making 3 kits at a time. This year I am just trying to get to my own stuff.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

ssmewing wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:09 am I ended up making 3 kits. But, that is it, no more this year.

I get pulled in too many directions sometimes. I come up with ideas and share them. Some guys can copy them, some need it to do for them.

Some cannot even wire a DPDT switch for motor reversing, which is not a common thing to do, really. But, there are a lot of details to get the right parts I guess.

Last year I was making 3 kits at a time. This year I am just trying to get to my own stuff.
Kits for what Steve? You do some good stuff, feel free to show us, it might inspire some to either buy from you or build stuff. Not myself at the moment, I can barely find time for the most necessary stuff. :wave2:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Eugen wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:09 am I can see the desire to have it wider so the area gets cleaner with fewer laps, but unless you have a really large area to clean, will one foot really make that much of a difference? I do dig the looks beefier looks though. :D
You could likely make up for the increased width with increased travel speed.

Also be careful with how much weight you add to the tractors front end and how far in front of the tractor the weight is. My 4016 struggles to lift my 44" Berco but lifts my 48" snowcaster just fine. I think the Berco sits farther forward than the snowcaster. I've seen other people mention this issue with the Berco on the old site.
Ingersoll 4016
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

I hope you meant "lack of increased width" ;) A wider caster on a small engined tractor often requires slower ground speed as the big caster loads up faster and beyond the smaller engines capacity without slowing down.
Also be careful with how much weight you add to the tractors front end and how far in front of the tractor the weight is. My 4016 struggles to lift my 44" Berco but lifts my 48" snowcaster just fine. I think the Berco sits farther forward than the snowcaster. I've seen other people mention this issue with the Berco on the old site.
It would be interesting to see the weight difference between the Case caster and the Berco. The Berco's impeller assembly and housing has to add quite a bit of weight. And the impeller pushes the whole thing farther out in front of the tractor.

:cheers:
Gordy
ssmewing United States of America

Post by ssmewing »

Eugen wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:38 am
ssmewing wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:09 am I ended up making 3 kits. But, that is it, no more this year.

Kits for what Steve? You do some good stuff, feel free to show us, it might inspire some to either buy from you or build stuff. Not myself at the moment, I can barely find time for the most necessary stuff. :wave2:
Sorry, I am in many groups. Check my YouTube, eBay, and Facebook pages. Hemlock Case Guy.

I try to make it so that skilled guys can copy what I do. But, not all are good at wiring and welding.

And then my famous travel control linkage you can maybe copy some of it. But, there are a lot of little things I do to it. I have installed quite a few. So, improvements were made as I installed more of them. That and I buy the parts 100 at a time. So, you cannot save money when buying 1 or 2 of the parts yourselves. That is on eBay.
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Gordy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:02 am
I hope you meant "lack of increased width" ;) A wider caster on a small engined tractor often requires slower ground speed as the big caster loads up faster and beyond the smaller engines capacity without slowing down.

:cheers:
Gordy
Yes "lack of increased width". Glad you were paying attention :cheers:
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

20220114_150750.jpg
Ok guys , protto type drawing . Quick adjust snow shoes with pavement wheels . Basic over sized foot on bottom mounted with shoulder bolts to allow movement . Steel rod welded to the shoe back to hold in down when needed . Top of rod goes through cam backer for stability. Simple cam at top (out of snow ) to raise and lower snow shoe as needed . Drawn on caster but idea when perfected could go on blower or plow blade .
Thoughts , possible problems , or other suggestions ??

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Simple is good. I'd make sure the cam/lever is not susceptible to coming lose due to vibrations. :spin:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:51 pm 20220114_150750.jpg

Ok guys , protto type drawing . Quick adjust snow shoes with pavement wheels . Basic over sized foot on bottom mounted with shoulder bolts to allow movement . Steel rod welded to the shoe back to hold in down when needed . Top of rod goes through cam backer for stability. Simple cam at top (out of snow ) to raise and lower snow shoe as needed . Drawn on caster but idea when perfected could go on blower or plow blade .
Thoughts , possible problems , or other suggestions ??

Dave
@DavidBarkey are you thinking of adding something to protect it when cutting through an old bank, hard drift, or getting to close to something? Or do you think it will be strong enough? Obviously, we can't push to hard of stuff with these casters. :letmesee:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace: