snow caster mods.

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: snow caster mods.

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:25 pm Dave any chance of some material or a rough scketch?
I have it back in the shop to fix muffler weld crack . while in there I will measure and draw the best I can and take a pic to upload .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

Jancoe wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:13 pm I left mine open Dave, when I rebuilt mine.
I thought along the same line as the others and did not change that. I almost welded out the chute base to the auger housing but chose not to so no water would stand and had run off. I have another idea I'm going to add to my caster. The three tabs to support and hold the chute will be made differently and follow the chute more. There will be uhmw pads on it also. I would have also tightened up the chute base just a hair to add a thin uhmw ring glued to the top outside edge so the chute ring fits tighter. I don't like how sloppy the ring is on these casters. I've had a few of these casters and they are all just as sloppy as the next there. I hammered the chute base out to stretch the metal to make it a little tighter there so it spins smoother back and forth. Dont forget to cut 2 more slots on each side for more rotation.Image

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Really very interested in your mods to the chute tabs and UHMW pads.. Have you progressed that at all?
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

I had put UHMW pads on the 2stage on Frankie but never did get them on the caster . With the auger trued up and really tight fit ( about 1/8" ) and then using chain guide to deal with chain slack and the whole thing painted up nice and shinny. I don't think I need it on the caster .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

So, my thoughts are on the lines of coating the snow blower cute and perhaps the housing with plastic. My caster is a J84 model and I have multiple updates [planned for the spring/summer season so we shall see what I can get done this coming year. Whatever I work on I will document in the CAD section with drawings.
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

I don't think I've posted this already... a few years back I added an extra tooth to each side of my snowcaster chute. The template is made from cardboard and the extra teeth were added by rotating the template. I don't think you need to cut out all the template teeth like I did.
Chute.jpg
Template.jpg
Rotate Left.jpg
Rotate Right.jpg
Ingersoll 4016
BobAfton United States of America

Post by BobAfton »

Matt, I did the same thing the same way (cardboard template) you did a few years ago, only I added 2 extra teeth on each side. I really like the extra rearward discharge, especially when I get to the end of the driveway.
Bob
Winter 2019 446 s(4).JPG
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Bob I never got around to trying more teeth. I wasn't sure how well the snowcaster would throw snow almost backwards. I've also got a berco which throws snow pretty good backwards.
Ingersoll 4016
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That is an interesting modification and I will go for it too. I often would have liked to be able to blow the snow just a little more to one side or the other, slightly to the back. Thanks for the idea @MattA and @BobAfton :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

I also on this caster added an extra tooth each way . At the end of the drive it does make a diferrance .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Yes 2 extra on each side. That's what I did too. Don't forget that auger shield too. No more spraying snow out the front of the blower.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk