snow caster mods.

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: snow caster mods.

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:53 pm So what is the diameter of that chute Dave. 6” or 8”, looks great. I’m sure you have checked , but I’ll ask any way. With the thrower down and chute straight ahead, will the engine bonnet open all the way to its rest with out hitting the chute. ?

Noel
8" at bottom and 6" at top . This is for the 446 blower project . Hood and grill are split and hood opens the other way like a car . No clearance problems .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Harry wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:19 pm
Propane57 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:53 pm So what is the diameter of that chute Dave. 6” or 8”, looks great. I’m sure you have checked , but I’ll ask any way. With the thrower down and chute straight ahead, will the engine bonnet open all the way to its rest with out hitting the chute. ?

Noel
It looks similar to Jancoe's and mine Eugen. I checked mine with it on the machine and It does clear the hood with it all the way open.

Keep the Peace
Harry
I will be putting a dual axes joy stick in it to run the chute controls like you guys did . I need it to drive like a video game so my grandson will do the driveway . :giggle:

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:35 pm

Noel
8" at bottom and 6" at top . This is for the 446 blower project . Hood and grill are split and hood opens the other way like a car . No clearance problems .

Dave
Ahhh, that sounds good. And the 6” at the top will make it work.
I wonder thou, if you closed off some of the chute opening at the 8” outlet. Would it help, I kinda did a temporary one on one of my casters. And it seems to help, but didn’t get to use it enough or get to modify it any to see any difference.

Noel
Attachments
B2F3DF3A-C873-4F86-BF6D-8259B285CE42.jpeg
FB9DD191-CEC3-4DDE-97E2-02DD7DC157E5.jpeg
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

:giggle: I knew that after I read your post about the bonnet opening like a car. :D I read things then can’t remember. :giggle: I post stuff on different forms or sites or what ever they are, then can’t remember what I said, where I posted it, and what I read from other people. Hehe.

Noel.
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Looks good @DavidBarkey. Now that you have that taller lip on the front, what doesn't make it up and out is gonna fall back down. Build yourself an auger shield on the front center to help send back what didn't make it and stop the spray coming out the front of the caster. You WILL notice a difference in a cleaner finished path. My new chute I made the top deflector 5" wide I believe.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:51 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:35 pm

Noel

Dave
Ahhh, that sounds good. And the 6” at the top will make it work.
I wonder thou, if you closed off some of the chute opening at the 8” outlet. Would it help, I kinda did a temporary one on one of my casters. And it seems to help, but didn’t get to use it enough or get to modify it any to see any difference.

Noel
I would be afraid that if a larger chunk of hard snow hit it , it cause damage . Has anyone else tried closing off part of the chute and had time to test it ?

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Jancoe wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:05 pm Looks good @DavidBarkey. Now that you have that taller lip on the front, what doesn't make it up and out is gonna fall back down. Build yourself an auger shield on the front center to help send back what didn't make it and stop the spray coming out the front of the caster. You WILL notice a difference in a cleaner finished path. My new chute I made the top deflector 5" wide I believe.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yes , the deflector is part of the plan . Just haven't got that far yet . Jancoe , When you put your deflector on did you address the lip the top edge makes ?

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:41 pm
Harry wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:19 pm

Noel
It looks similar to Jancoe's and mine Eugen. I checked mine with it on the machine and It does clear the hood with it all the way open.

Keep the Peace
Harry
I will be putting a dual axes joy stick in it to run the chute controls like you guys did . I need it to drive like a video game so my grandson will do the driveway . :giggle:

Dave
David I used momentary toggle switches for mine. One for the chute rotator and another for the deflector. I'll take a pic and post it if I remember!

Keep the Peace
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

@DavidBarkey Here is my Berco's main chain tensioner. I think the Berco has a second chain tensioner on the auger drive chain. If you want to see any more pictures, let me know.
Attachments
Chain tensioner spring
Chain tensioner spring
Chain tensioner
Chain tensioner
Last edited by MattA on Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingersoll 4016
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Here's the Berco's drive system.
Attachments
The Berco's drive system. That's a right angle gear box on the top left to drive the impeller. The large sprocket in the top center connects to two different drive shafts with shear bolts. The right shaft connects to a second chain drive for the auger (next to my snowcaster).
The Berco's drive system. That's a right angle gear box on the top left to drive the impeller. The large sprocket in the top center connects to two different drive shafts with shear bolts. The right shaft connects to a second chain drive for the auger (next to my snowcaster).
Auger shear bolt
Auger shear bolt
Impeller shear bolt
Impeller shear bolt
Ingersoll 4016