New to me band saw

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
DavidBarkey Canada

New to me band saw

Post by DavidBarkey »

After the holidays I picked up this old Rockwell Beaver 10" band saw . The bearing are still tight and free . It only has one speed for now , but that works good for Jacob :51: to do his little wood working projects he like to do . I want to be able to do steel and aluminum with it , but that will require be able to slow it down .
20240110_102550.jpg
20240110_102601.jpg
20240110_102612.jpg
I added the wheels and handle for portability , the light , receptacle box with longer heavier cord ,and front cover .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Re: New to me band saw

Post by Harry »

Nice saw David, they are nice to have. I’m sure Jacob will appreciate it for his woodworking projects. I have a small craftsman just for wood. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

You're actually good to go for aluminum as is. Pretty much the same with brass.

Steel you're going to need to slow way down obviously.

If you have any kind of choice, I'd really recomend finding a second saw for steel. Apart from changing the blade, you're going to need to really clean up the saw between uses. Wood really doesn't like little bits of steel ground in to it. The aluminum isn't as bad with the wood, and pretty much, you can use the same blade as for wood.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Great addition to your shop Dave! :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Harbor Freight sells a router speed controller... its basically a light dimmer in a box. You might be able to find something similar that can run a higher load.
https://www.harborfreight.com/power-too ... 59386.html
Says 8 amps in the instructions...
Amazon also has these and I think they are cheaper.
Ingersoll 4016
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

That will be a fun tool for Jacob to work with :69:

I'm not sure what type of metal working you would like to use it for, but I'd also suggest watching for a used PowerFist horizontal metal cutting band saw,
I bought one ages ago, and have been quite happy with it. It's nice to be able to start cutting a piece of steel tube and just walk away from it and do other things while the saw gravity feeds itself through the work - and they also came with a tiny little table that screws on the guard, so if you wanted to you can use it upright for cutting freehand shapes

This one is in Ottawa (sorry) but only asking $175
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 544001143/
bandsaw.jpg
Last edited by RoamingGnome on Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

MattA wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:36 am Harbor Freight sells a router speed controller... its basically a light dimmer in a box. You might be able to find something similar that can run a higher load.
https://www.harborfreight.com/power-too ... 59386.html
Says 8 amps in the instructions...
Amazon also has these and I think they are cheaper.
I would be worried about speed regulation of the actual electric motor. My worry has to do with the load on the motor at lower speed. If it were me I'd do the speed lowering via belt(s) and pulley(s). Sort of like it's done in drill presses. :writing:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

My biggest issue is space , I have a decent size shop but is quickly filling up . I would love to have a horizontal and a vertical just for metal and a little beafier , but that would requier a winning ticket for the expantion of the shop . I need to make each tool do as many things as possible so I still have space to have what I am working on is inside as well .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Don't bother looking at the speed controllers. Those only work on universal motors and what you have on here is an induction motor. So the speed controller won't do a thing for it.

To get the blade down to metal cutting speeds you'll just need to put in a jack shaft.

Orrrrrr.....

You could put a little harbor freight band saw mounted vertically like the one that I drone on and on about. I just cut three things on it this morning. Three or four or five yesterday. Three or four or five the day before that etc etc. It is literally the handiest tool I own. Well maybe outside of my Leatherman tool....

It doesn't take out much bench space. And you'll find yourself using it All. The. Time.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126271391181

If anyone wants to do the bench mounted portable like I've described, this is the saw you're after.

It's actually a clone of an older style porter cable porta band saw.

The newer versions all have the motor housing up opposite of the exposed blade area. But these older style have the motor housing down adjacent to the lower bandsaw wheel. And so when you mount it vertically, you have much better access to the blade area and it makes you able to cut larger things and manipulate the parts on the table better.

But to bench mount it, you attach a about 12-in square piece of 1/2-in plywood to the metal rest/stop of the saw. And then you build a square / cube base for that piece of plywood to sit on. For mine I added a couple vertical slots to kind of grip the handle down underneath. And lastly attach a light switch and an outlet. I zip stripped the trigger on and plug it into that switched outlet so when you flip the light switch the outlet comes live and the saw starts up.

Nothing fancy, super low tech. But as I say, it's the handiest tool I own.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I'll be quiet now.
Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"