Oil lite bushing won't hold

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
DavidBarkey Canada

Oil lite bushing won't hold

Post by DavidBarkey »

What to do when oil lite bushings won' hold in the bore .
Working on our lawn mower (what was suppose to happen this summer ), a Bolens 944 Frame Steer that was made in Sweden . Everything is metric , and some odd sizes for over to boot . Front wheel shafts and bearing baddly worn . Shaft size 20mm . That was the easy part as they are removable and simple to reproduce . The wheel bearing bushings are 20mm id / 26mm ish od 25mm long NLA through parts suppliers . Was able to source set of new bushing , BUT the bushing Od is only a couple thou press fit . Where as the rim bore is 10-15 sloppy :headbash: . Normally I would weld a ring of weld to resize the bore , but in this case the one end does not allow this . SOOOO trying to cheat a little . I cleaned the bores with solvent and wiped any oil off the outside of the bushings . Whipped up some :usa: duck tape ( JB WELD) :rofl: and smeared a coat on the outside of the bushings and the inside of the bores . Twisted the bushings into place and then clamp with large nut and bolt . Now the sit to cure over night . I have read where guys have done this with loctite 603 retaining compound , so though I would give Jim Bob :weld1: a try .
To be continued :42:
Last edited by DavidBarkey on Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Spike188 Canada

Re: Oil lite bushing won't hold

Post by Spike188 »

JB Weld........?
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:56 pm What to do when oil lite bushings won' hold in the bore .
Working on our lawn mower (what was suppose to happen this summer ), a Bolens 944 Frame Steer that was made in Sweden . Everything is metric , and some odd sizes for over to boot . Front wheel shafts and bearing baddly worn . Shaft size 20mm . That was the easy part as they are removable and simple to reproduce . The wheel bearing bushings are 20mm id / 26mm ish od 25mm long NLA through parts suppliers . Was able to source set of new bushing , BUT the bushing Od is only a couple thou press fit . Where as the rim bore is 10-15 sloppy :headbash: . Normally I would weld a ring of weld to resize the bore , but in this case the one end does not allow this . SOOOO trying to cheat a little . I cleaned the bores with solvent and wiped any oil off the outside of the bushings . Whipped up some :usa: duck tape ( JB WELD) :rofl: and smeared a coat on the outside of the bushings and the inside of the bores . Twisted the bushings into place and then clamp with large nut and bolt . Now the sit to cure over night . I have read where guys have done this with loctite 603 retaining compound , so though I would give John Bob :weld1: a try .
Did you have Red Green helping ;) or are you Red? :hm: :rofl:
Last edited by Timj on Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:56 pm so though I would give John Bob :weld1: a try .
I'll have to remember that... "Jim Bob" Weld :rofl:
The stories that could be told about "Jim Bob" Weld in the Heavy Equipment shop... Well it all works until it doesn't :109:

Working at Caterpillar we used a similar 2part product for building up severely worn metal - called Belzona 1111 - pretty wild stuff - I might have to sneak back into the old shop and "borrow" some to fill in all the pitting on my Case 530ck backhoes cylinder rods.
Belzona Video on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzHOzue33sc
Their other YouTube how to videos are interesting - seems they've got a glue or epoxy for just about any situation you can think of.
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Timj wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:37 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:56 pm What to do when oil lite bushings won' hold in the bore .
Working on our lawn mower (what was suppose to happen this summer ), a Bolens 944 Frame Steer that was made in Sweden . Everything is metric , and some odd sizes for over to boot . Front wheel shafts and bearing baddly worn . Shaft size 20mm . That was the easy part as they are removable and simple to reproduce . The wheel bearing bushings are 20mm id / 26mm ish od 25mm long NLA through parts suppliers . Was able to source set of new bushing , BUT the bushing Od is only a couple thou press fit . Where as the rim bore is 10-15 sloppy :headbash: . Normally I would weld a ring of weld to resize the bore , but in this case the one end does not allow this . SOOOO trying to cheat a little . I cleaned the bores with solvent and wiped any oil off the outside of the bushings . Whipped up some :usa: duck tape ( JB WELD) :rofl: and smeared a coat on the outside of the bushings and the inside of the bores . Twisted the bushings into place and then clamp with large nut and bolt . Now the sit to cure over night . I have read where guys have done this with loctite 603 retaining compound , so though I would give John Bob :weld1: a try .
Did you have Red Green helping ;) or are you Red? :hm: :rofl:
I learn from the master . I needed to be handy because not so hansom. :rofl:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

RoamingGnome wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:00 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:56 pm so though I would give John Bob :weld1: a try .
I'll have to remember that... "Jim Bob" Weld :rofl:
The stories that could be told about "Jim Bob" Weld in the Heavy Equipment shop... Well it all works until it doesn't :109:

Working at Caterpillar we used a similar 2part product for building up severely worn metal - called Belzona 1111 - pretty wild stuff - I might have to sneak back into the old shop and "borrow" some to fill in all the pitting on my Case 530ck backhoes cylinder rods.
Belzona Video on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzHOzue33sc
Their other YouTube how to videos are interesting - seems they've got a glue or epoxy for just about any situation you can think of.

Neat stuff Gerry. Bet you buy that at princess auto. ?

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@RoamingGnome , that Belzona stuff, wow! Impressive!

Dave, I see you fixed that, I'm sure it'll hold fine. I was wondering why you haven't gone with a steel bushing pressed in the 26mm inside which you press the bronze bushing? Just curious, that's all.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:54 am @RoamingGnome , that Belzona stuff, wow! Impressive!

Dave, I see you fixed that, I'm sure it'll hold fine. I was wondering why you haven't gone with a steel bushing pressed in the 26mm inside which you press the bronze bushing? Just curious, that's all.
The tube does not have enough wall thickness to bore out to be able to press in a repair sleeve . I don't have the tools to make a sleeve thin enough . Normally I would put a ring of weld or two on the outside of the tube to shrink the bore as the weld cools . But that is not an option on one side . I just hope this glue job works .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I must not understand it well, as I thought between 20mm and 26mm there would be enough thickness for bronze bushing and steel sleeve. :hm:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

propane1 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:59 am
Neat stuff Gerry. Bet you buy that at princess auto. ?

Noel
Don't think so Noel... It's industrial stuff, smallest container is a 1-lb size and they just get bigger from there - I worked for a bunch of different heavy equipment manufacturers, CAT was the only one using Belzona, I've never seen it in a retail store.
:cheers:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)