Tools we all need.

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Tools we all need.

Post by DavidBarkey »

That band saw is on my wish list now . Looked up that thing and the bench top mount . Come on lottery show me the money ..
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That's a good list Bob. Regarding number 2, about 2 months ago I realized I'm missing a big pipe wrench every time I need to use one. Started to keep an eye on the marketplace and scored a set of vintage ones at a reality good price. They are also useful for everything you said.

About number 3, I so have a portable band saw but don't have the room to bench mount it. Very useful indeed!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I picked up a Sears old school vertical bandsaw quite some time ago. I made a angle iron steel stand for it and put locking casters on it. I use it mostly for cutting wood. I also found a cheap horizontal bandsaw that needed some tlc. Got it running and put a metal cutting blade on it. I use it for cutting metal and it is handy. Then at a garage sale last summer I found a porta-band saw, for $20 and I put it in my tool cabinet and have not looked at it since. I guess I should dig it out and see how it cuts. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Harry wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:37 pm I picked up a Sears old school vertical bandsaw quite some time ago. I made a angle iron steel stand for it and put locking casters on it. I use it mostly for cutting wood. I also found a cheap horizontal bandsaw that needed some tlc. Got it running and put a metal cutting blade on it. I use it for cutting metal and it is handy. Then at a garage sale last summer I found a porta-band saw, for $20 and I put it in my tool cabinet and have not looked at it since. I guess I should dig it out and see how it cuts. :peace: Harry
I can only speak for myself, but I was really excited when I found an old Craftsman 18" dual-speed bandsaw a few years back. In high speed it cuts wood, in low speed it does metal. And it's a really nice, big saw. I've resawed a couple small logs with it, and I use it any time I have to cut a large format metal object. Like when I cut the trunions out of a big piece of 1/2" plate for my quick-attach bucket adapter on the loader build. That 3' by 2' sheet of 1/2" plate was just too big to get on my portaband. It hits the rear support after only 5 or 6 inches, and I needed to make 24" long cuts. So I rolled out the big bandsaw and it did the job just fine. And so that big bandsaw is an important tool. And so is the tablesaw, etc.

BUT.

There are just countless times that I'm working at the bench, and I just need "a six inch piece of pipe" or "a 12" long 2x4" or "to trim an inch off of this end" and I just spin around and stick it (whatever it is) into that handy little bandsaw.

Now that I know, I can't live without it.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

I used another "newish to me" tool this morning and thought of this post.

I got one of these a year or so ago, and I use it all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Nut-Thread-Check ... B09LH877TB

For folks who buy their hardware and parts primarily retail, it's probably not as useful. But for anyone who saves/repurposes/scrounges hardware and parts, this tool is invaluable. It instantly tell the difference between the variety of metric/imperial coarse thread/fine thread fasteners, both male and female.

I find myself using it all the time.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

thebuildist wrote:I used another "newish to me" tool this morning and thought of this post.

For folks who buy their hardware and parts primarily retail, it's probably not as useful. But for anyone who saves/repurposes/scrounges hardware and parts, this tool is invaluable. It instantly tell the difference between the variety of metric/imperial coarse thread/fine thread fasteners, both male and female.

Bob
Thanks Bob... that is now in my Amazon shopping cart list.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

thebuildist wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:20 am I used another "newish to me" tool this morning and thought of this post.

Bob
Nice
Other than thread pitch gauges I have these to . For the same purpose as you . Plus it helps little man :51: learn sizes .
image.png
image.png (497.81 KiB) Viewed 5214 times
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That is a useful tool @thebuildist ! :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Looks like a great tool, thanks for posting Bob. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

This doesn’t qualify as a tool but something I use constantly is old pill bottles. You guys probably already do this but I use them on almost every project to hold small parts. Easy to mark whats in it and put a lid on it. I found a bucket of them when we started going through my dads stuff. I know that’s why he saved them.
D7506164-6248-4BAD-8A1B-4425840EE9F2.jpeg