Tools we all need.

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
Eugen Canada

Re: Tools we all need.

Post by Eugen »

Toolslinger wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:54 pm
FWIW... I have read some pretty troubling things about Temu's app/interface. It aggressively looks to grant itself access to data it has absolutly no need or right to. While I love a good bargin, I'm not willing to go that far.
Hm.. this is concerning, thanks, I just looked into that. Also found an article in usatoday about this, it claims the following:

"Temu collects, among other things:

• The info you provide, such as your name, address, and phone number.

• Details you enter, such as your birthday, photo, and social media profiles.

• Your phone or computer’s operating system and version, your IP address, GPS location (if you allowed it), and browsing data."

Elsewhere on twitter some people say that the temu app bypasses your phone security and your firewall and it sends this info to China.

OK guys, if you're worried about being tracked in China, obviously do not install this app. Though the same thing will apply to a lot of apps you install on your phone.

Now here's my 2c about this issues, since it was brought up. My day job has been stuff with computers for many years, and cyber security is something that's not unfamiliar. For an app to bypass, for instance, the iPhone security access, it's very very unlikely; Apple would not be happy about that, and I'm sure they would fix the issue. On my iPhone the temu app does not have access to pretty much anything. It never asked me for my birthday or to gain access to anything concerning such as GPS location. As for my name, address, phone number, I did give it that when I ordered the products, obviously so it gets shipped to me. I paid with Paypal, so they didn't get my credit card. I'm comfortable with that though, and not saying any of you should do the same.

BTW, I don't know what browsers or phones you guys are using, but if you knew how far some of your information gets passed around you would probably stop using a computer or phone altogether. If you do want to do things anonymously on the internet you need to put a lot of effort into it, and you can ask me how to do it. I know it, but don't care much about it, as I can't honestly think of a way it can be used to harm me. :hitsfan:

Edit: sorry about the whole temu.com thing, I'm not recommending the site/business to anyone, just wanted to point to the drill bits I got. Looks like the exact same thing is available on amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Kwokker-Concrete ... =256276011
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

There's something I've had for years and still use. But first, a demo.
Half done.
Half done.
Half done different angle.
Half done different angle.
Whole lens done
Whole lens done
Sample 2, before.
Sample 2, before.
Samole 2, after.
Samole 2, after.
Sample 3, before.
Sample 3, before.
Sample 3, after.
Sample 3, after.
This product is quite unique. It polishes plastic back to almost new. I've used this many times in the past, and got to use it today on some plastic light lenses. You know how at some point the plastic becomes dull and blurry. Well, this restores it as you can see. It's a blueish paste and you only need a little, on a piece of cotton fabric. I use an old t-shirt. And you rub it in well. Then with another part of the same cotton fabric you wipe it and rub it dry. When I first tried it, to me it almost seemed miraculous.

This is called Meguiar's PlastX and I got it for $15 at our local Canadian Tire, and you get 10 fluid oz. I'm not connected to the company or product in any way, of course.
Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 14.05.52.png
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Use it all the time . Works great for lexan or plexiglass windows as well . I even buff the :wife: head lights . When they are really bad , I water sand with 1000 then 3000 then polish with low speed polisher and plastic polish .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Eugen, thanks for posting this. My brother was coming over during the summer and backed into my Jeep. I had a collision shop do the work. It needed a new headlight so now I have a new one on one side and a fogged up one on the other side. I tried some rubbing compound, and it did get better but still a bit foggy. I'll give it a try; I've got nothing to lose. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

I did the wet sand with progressively higher grits and then plastic polish on my old car headlights about 15 years ago. Worked pretty good. You might be able to get a new headlight from a 3rd party retailer at a decent price.
Ingersoll 4016
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Interesting. I’m sure the lenses on my pickup would benefit from this. I’ve never tried it. How often do you have to reapply it?
That bottle says cleaner and polish. Do you guys put any other coating on to make it last longer?
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Some of you may be like me where I'm experiencing full-on arthritis in my hands. In particular squeezing things really hard causes pain.

It's not that I can't do it. It's a question of whether or not I'm willing to pay the price.

So right now I'm building an aluminum tool case as a Christmas present. 1/8-in thick sheet aluminum joined at all the corners with aluminum angle iron. And fastened with rivets.

Well you can guess what the experience of popping dozens of 3/16 rivets is going to be.

So I jumped on Amazon and ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09TSJDHN4

And I have to say, the thing works like a charm. It's not necessarily ideal for access issues, where sometimes you put a right angle rivet gun down into a cavity. But for any rivets that you can reach with the tool it makes it fast and effortless to pop them.

And even though this is the cheapest one on there, it's actually made of what appears to be aluminum. And the quality seems okay. It has certainly worked flawlessly for 20 rivets or so.

Just a heads up if anybody's curious about them.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

JSinMO wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:55 pm Interesting. I’m sure the lenses on my pickup would benefit from this. I’ve never tried it. How often do you have to reapply it?
That bottle says cleaner and polish. Do you guys put any other coating on to make it last longer?
Jeff, this paste brings the clarity of the plastic lens back, no coating remains on the surface. I did the truck headlights too, today. I don't think I'll need to do it again before the truck's life's over.

The plastic lenses on the big backhoe instrument panel were so foggy that I could barely tell the dials behind. After polishing them with this paste they're almost like new.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

JSinMO wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:55 pm Interesting. I’m sure the lenses on my pickup would benefit from this. I’ve never tried it. How often do you have to reapply it?
Good old fashion car wax will help last a little longer and stay cleaner in the winter . It is the UV rays that etch the surface .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

thebuildist wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:45 pm Some of you may be like me where I'm experiencing full-on arthritis in my hands. In particular squeezing things really hard causes pain.

It's not that I can't do it. It's a question of whether or not I'm willing to pay the price.

So right now I'm building an aluminum tool case as a Christmas present. 1/8-in thick sheet aluminum joined at all the corners with aluminum angle iron. And fastened with rivets.

Well you can guess what the experience of popping dozens of 3/16 rivets is going to be.

So I jumped on Amazon and ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09TSJDHN4

And I have to say, the thing works like a charm. It's not necessarily ideal for access issues, where sometimes you put a right angle rivet gun down into a cavity. But for any rivets that you can reach with the tool it makes it fast and effortless to pop them.

And even though this is the cheapest one on there, it's actually made of what appears to be aluminum. And the quality seems okay. It has certainly worked flawlessly for 20 rivets or so.

Just a heads up if anybody's curious about them.

Bob
I have never seen a drill attachment rivet gun , that must be a new thing . Back in the day when building race cars ,this what I used to save my hands as there were thousands to to in a car .
image.png
Yes like you and others Aurther and his brother Ittis have taken up residence in various part of my body . A few years back I started drinking a glass a day of our homemade V6 juice . The brouthers have not left my body , but it has kept them in check . Try it , it takes awhile to start working , but is way better for you than anty-inflamitories meds .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder