Tools we all need.

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
thebuildist United States of America

Re: Tools we all need.

Post by thebuildist »

My deburring tool goes in a drawer in the same slot as:

1: a carbide tipped scribe. Dirt cheap, scribes straight onto steel. If you need a really clean/perfect line, paint the steel with dykem or a permanent marker and then scribe through that, The marker provides excellent contrast. But either way, its way more precise than any kind of pencil or marker or paint pen. And it never runs out.

Cheap versions work just fine. https://www.amazon.com/Tungsten-Carbide ... B0819GJWX3

2: My automatic centerpunch. Again, pretty cheap. You can punch any spot with one hand. Just put the point where you want it, and push down until you hear, "Ka-CHUNK". And they work good for use as a tiny jackhammer. Seriously. Say you have a broken off tap in a hole: Put the centerpunch at a "rotational" angle and repeatedly punch it, and you may just get that tap to start wiggling/spinning. Or a nut that you can't get a wrench on, put the point rotationally against one face and give it a few punches. It won't undo 100ft-lbs of torque, but it's sometimes surprising what it can do.

But don't waste your money on the Chinese brass versions. They only last a little while. General Tools makes a steel one that's much better, others may as well.

https://generaltools.com/heavy-duty-aut ... nter-punch

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I'm quite amazed by the good tips in this thread guys. Thank you @thebuildist , I have an ok-ish scribe but definitely would like a better one, and found a general tools tungsten carbide scribe on amazon. I have an automatic puncher (brass one) but it's kinda useless, not strong enough to make a good enough indent. I always reach for the one made out of a 5/8 tap. That and the hammer puts a significant indent in anything. I would not mind the general tools puncher you point to, but it's quite pricey :$$: on this side of the border. :|
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Another great topic... I'll add some of my accumulated "stuff" as I find it - I'm supposed to be in the middle of a big cleanup / purge this winter :headbash: We are getting our house ready to sell in the spring and it's amazing what you can collect living in one place for 30+ years -

Going into Princess or looking online at tools always starts the discussion :fight: with :wife: about what I could possibly need that I don't have already. I think It was easier when I was working and had the weekly visit from tool trucks. The other good/bad thing was being able to drive past Princess Auto on the way home from work.

- Zero Clearance socket adapters
PXL_20230228_010948419.jpg
- Socket to Hex "wrench" adapter
PXL_20230228_011122080.jpg
- Came as a set of 3 - 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive - lets you get a socket into a tight space and then turn it with a wrench
PXL_20230228_011705050.jpg
- Oil filter strap wrenches - Princess has an "ok" substitute that is basically a chunk of square tube with the strap on one end - The deluxe version is an actual CAT tool - part # 185-3630 that works really good - the metal saddle reduces the chance of crushing a filter
PXL_20230228_012956980.jpg
- and a couple of handy dandy kits -
PXL_20230228_011857643.jpg
- Thread restore kits - they aren't designed for cutting new threads, but work really good for cleaning rust and dirt off threads. Convenient hex drive so you can use them with a ratchet or driver- Includes common sizes/pitches of both Metric and SAE - and also thread files for larger stuff
PXL_20230228_011955483.jpg
Stud extractors - really useful to grip the outside of a socket head capscrew when the inner flats get stripped - or when someone tries to remove said capscrew with a ball end allen key and the ball breaks off... :cuss: :headbash:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@RoamingGnome you have no idea how much I've been looking for the socket to wrench adapter, and sometimes I really wished to have the zero clearance ones. This was when working on the Honda truck. Never could find any of them at a reasonable price. The CAT filter wrench looks like it's great quality. Wish I had one of those. Ok, thanks for the drool material! :D (I like your other tools too)
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

@Eugen I just had a quick look on the web - from Princess - The zero clearance drive reducers are about $18.00 (SKU: 8642787)
and amazon has the "3 PC Square Drive Socket Caps" for about $23.00 plus fees (think they are coming from out of country) https://www.amazon.ca/Square-Drive-Sock ... 81&sr=8-59 they had some good deals on copies of the Cat filter wrench too...
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Many thanks Gerry! Your search skills :worship: :worship: :worship: I did search for them and came out empty, just this afternoon! :blush: I'm getting them!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

thebuildist wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:08 am My deburring tool goes in a drawer in the same slot as:

1: a carbide tipped scribe. Dirt cheap, scribes straight onto steel. If you need a really clean/perfect line, paint the steel with dykem or a permanent marker and then scribe through that, The marker provides excellent contrast. But either way, its way more precise than any kind of pencil or marker or paint pen. And it never runs out.

Cheap versions work just fine. https://www.amazon.com/Tungsten-Carbide ... B0819GJWX3

2: My automatic centerpunch. Again, pretty cheap. You can punch any spot with one hand. Just put the point where you want it, and push down until you hear, "Ka-CHUNK". And they work good for use as a tiny jackhammer. Seriously. Say you have a broken off tap in a hole: Put the centerpunch at a "rotational" angle and repeatedly punch it, and you may just get that tap to start wiggling/spinning. Or a nut that you can't get a wrench on, put the point rotationally against one face and give it a few punches. It won't undo 100ft-lbs of torque, but it's sometimes surprising what it can do.

But don't waste your money on the Chinese brass versions. They only last a little while. General Tools makes a steel one that's much better, others may as well.

Bob
My carbide tipped scribes, I made myself by silver brazing a small piece of carbide unto a piece of round stock. Then sharpened them on a diamond wheel that the machinist sharpened their cutting tools on. Bob, that was a good idea for the use if a automatic centerpunch to remove a broken tap. I’ll have to try it. My automatic centerpunch is a Starrett. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226

Post by Harry »

This is a handee clamp. I’ve used it to hold a bolt or nut in a difficult to reach area. :peace: Harry
Attachments
Handee clamp
Handee clamp
Handee clamp
Handee clamp
Jaws of Handee clamp
Jaws of Handee clamp
Thumb screw
Thumb screw

Post by Harry »

I’m sure most of you have tin snips, I like the aviation style. Unusual wrenches help in a pinch sometimes. :peace: Harry
Attachments
Tin snips
Tin snips
Tin snips
Tin snips
Tin snips
Tin snips
Wrenches
Wrenches
Wrenches
Wrenches
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Harry wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:21 pm
thebuildist wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:08 am My deburring tool goes in a drawer in the same slot as:

Bob
My carbide tipped scribes, I made myself by silver brazing a small piece of carbide unto a piece of round stock. Then sharpened them on a diamond wheel that the machinist sharpened their cutting tools on. Bob, that was a good idea for the use if a automatic centerpunch to remove a broken tap. I’ll have to try it. My automatic centerpunch is a Starrett. :peace: Harry
Making a carbide scribe would be a fun project.

And Starrett? Wow. I didn't know I was friends with someone so wealthy!
😂
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"