tire repair

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
thebuildist United States of America

tire repair

Post by thebuildist »

My understanding of tires is that a hole or cut can't actually be repaired.

If a hole is small enough, you can put in a tube, so that the tube holds air instead of the tire.
If the hole is small-ish and located in the heavily cord-reinforced tread area, then you can put a plug in it.

But I think I've learned something new, something that greatly expands the repairability of tires. Low speed tires, anyway.

I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC_Kf7WSa1M which demonstrates this product:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072Q9DBB5

That glue appears to join rubber so well that the glue joint is stronger than the rubber itself. That means that, if you're careful to consider and compensate for cord damage to the tire, that almost any puncture or tear (less than... about 5 inches?) can be repaired.

That seems like a great tool to have in my arsenal. So I've ordered a bottle, and I intend to try it next time I need it.

I not nearly confident enough that I'd try it on a passenger car right now. But I'll happily try it out on a tractor.

Am I the only one that didn't know about this?

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
propane1 Canada

Re: tire repair

Post by propane1 »

Never knew about that product. I could have used that on a repair a few years ago.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Bob, I hate to be a party popper but is this any different than krazy glue? I have doubts it works well. Hope I am wrong.

Well, looking at reviews I am impressed. My previous experience with krazy glue was not very good. Maybe this is not the same thing. Looking forward to your impression.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

That's interesting, seems like a good fix for off highway tires - I wonder though how that glue compares to the "rubber cement" you find in kits to patch inner tubes - I'm also wondering if one of those tube patches could be stuck on the outside of a tire for an emergency repair? ...or maybe fancy glue + tube patch? https://www.princessauto.com/en/17-pc-t ... 0008552267
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

In the video he rubs his finger right in it. I thought while watching his finger was gunna be stuck to the tire. But it didn’t at all, so it must be different than crazy glue.

Noel
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@thebuildist it seems you and I have been watching similar stuff on YouTube, I just watched that video last week! I have never used that glue, but it looks like it would work. I don’t know if I would trust any sidewall patch without a tube, but if it seals…..
I’ve always made the patch inside the tire. On bigger sidewalk cuts I’ve used old mudflaps, pieces of tires laid in and then a tube and it’s worked well. On my 648 one of the front tires has a rotten ring that won’t seal around the tire. Since it’s bias ply I just added a tube and it works fine. I’ll be looking forward to you findings when you get a chance to use the glue.
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

In the rv repair business, slide out rubber swipe seals are joined together in the corners with super glue. Stronger than the rubber around it. Seam the same. Often destroy the rubber trying to separate then for service.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

What I don't understand is how this works. Super glue hardens like stone. So how does it hold on rubber which is changing shape as you fill up the tire with air? Obviously it works, people say so, it's kind of a miracle to me. :)
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by thebuildist »

The thing that convinced me is when he just glued two random pieces of rubber together and then ripped them apart with pliers and it split the rubber rather than split the glue joint.

To me, that's the gold standard. I don't see how you could fake that. And if it really works like that I don't see how it could fail to work for what you need!

Bob

Post by thebuildist »

Okay, I received this glue today. And having taken the lid off and sniffed it, it's clearly some kind of cyanoacrylate. I presume that it's formulated in such a way to be... Effective on rubber? Maybe it's a certain way that it sets or a flexibility or something? I can't say. For the amount that I got for 12 bucks, it's not outrageously expensive. A little more than other CA glues but not way more.

Which is a long way of saying that if it really is as good on rubber as the video makes it appear then I think it'll be worth the 12 bucks. I can't wait to find out.

Bob