tire repair

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: tire repair

Post by DavidBarkey »

thebuildist wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:36 pm Okay, I received this glue today. And having taken the lid off and sniffed it, it's clearly some kind of cyanoacrylate. I presume that it's formulated in such a way to be... Effective on rubber? Maybe it's a certain way that it sets or a flexibility or something? I can't say. For the amount that I got for 12 bucks, it's not outrageously expensive. A little more than other CA glues but not way more.

Which is a long way of saying that if it really is as good on rubber as the video makes it appear then I think it'll be worth the 12 bucks. I can't wait to find out.

Bob
Bob if you have an old v belt , cut the rubber up to but not through the cords from the inside .. glue back together . Then flip the belt inside out and run on a couple of flat pulleys . That would be a good test .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Do a little test for us Bob. If you have an old tire or tube, cut up two pieces and glue them together. After what ever amount of time is required to cure, then see if it will pull apart.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Drat, I wanted to get a tube and it costs $37 here in the Arctic :furious: :furious:

The real test is go stab :wife: car tire and glue back on. If you show up tomorrow alive we know it's a good glue :rofl:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Thanks Bob,

I got to get some. The rubber cement that comes with patch kits is not worth a damn anymore. They must have changed the chemistry to foil the glue sniffers. I have done everything right, plus put a weight on the patch and leave it sit for 3 days and the patch will peel off easily.

:cheers:
Gordy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Gordy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:46 am Thanks Bob,

I got to get some. The rubber cement that comes with patch kits is not worth a damn anymore. They must have changed the chemistry to foil the glue sniffers. I have done everything right, plus put a weight on the patch and leave it sit for 3 days and the patch will peel off easily.

Gordy
You are correct . Even the for shop use only products aren't what they use to be because of the VOC rules these days .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Gordy
Hmm... guess that shows how long it's been since I patched an inner tube... :|
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)

Post by Gordy »

RoamingGnome wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:33 am

Gordy
The wayyyy back machine in my brain just kicked in :78: As a kid in the early 70's, my buddies dad had some patches for our bicycle tubes. They used a process called "vulcanization".The tube was cleaned and the patch was laid over the hole, dry/no glue. there was a special clamp that held the 2 together, then you put a lit match to the edge of the patch. The edge of the patch would flash like a very fast firecracker fuse, let it sit a couple minutes then take the clamp off and put the tube back in the tire. The heat quickly fused the 2 pieces of rubber together.

Gordy
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Gordy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:14 am
RoamingGnome wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:33 am

Gordy
The wayyyy back machine in my brain just kicked in :78: As a kid in the early 70's, my buddies dad had some patches for our bicycle tubes. They used a process called "vulcanization".The tube was cleaned and the patch was laid over the hole, dry/no glue. there was a special clamp that held the 2 together, then you put a lit match to the edge of the patch. The edge of the patch would flash like a very fast firecracker fuse, let it sit a couple minutes then take the clamp off and put the tube back in the tire. The heat quickly fused the 2 pieces of rubber together.

Gordy
Your memory jogged one of mine loose too!
One winter a neighbor kid from the next farm over said let’s go sledding. We “borrowed” a couple of his dads big tractor tubes. We poked holes in them right away. He said my dad has patches in the shop let’s fix them. They were the vulcanization ones you were talking about. By the end of the day we used all his patches and who knows how many matches! Man did we got in trouble when his dad got home! :109: :124: we ruined 2 tractor tire tubes and used up all the patches he had, but I guess we did learn how to patch a tube! :rofl:

Post by Gordy »

JSinMO wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:41 am Your memory jogged one of mine loose too!
One winter a neighbor kid from the next farm over said let’s go sledding. We “borrowed” a couple of his dads big tractor tubes. We poked holes in them right away. He said my dad has patches in the shop let’s fix them. They were the vulcanization ones you were talking about. By the end of the day we used all his patches and who knows how many matches! Man did we got in trouble when his dad got home! :109: :124: we ruined 2 tractor tire tubes and used up all the patches he had, but I guess we did learn how to patch a tube! :rofl:
:)) My sledding A$$ chewing happened at age 5 when the snow was gone. Gramps had one of those combo corn crib (outer walls) / machine sheds. I noticed the nice slope in the corn were they had been taking the cobbed corn out, Yep I took the steel runner sled in there and road it down God knows how many times :109: A week later Gramps came for some corn and was PISSED at all of the corn knocked off the cobs :40:

Gordy
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Gordy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:09 am
JSinMO wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:41 am Your memory jogged one of mine loose too!
:)) My sledding A$$ chewing happened at age 5 when the snow was gone. Gramps had one of those combo corn crib (outer walls) / machine sheds. I noticed the nice slope in the corn were they had been taking the cobbed corn out, Yep I took the steel runner sled in there and road it down God knows how many times :109: A week later Gramps came for some corn and was PISSED at all of the corn knocked off the cobs :40:

Gordy
:rofl: Boy I can picture that scene! That’s sure bringing back a lot of memories. Ah the good old days! :))