Locked differential or AWD or 4WD

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
Eugen Canada

Locked differential or AWD or 4WD

Post by Eugen »

Gordy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:30 pm I am thinking locked differential in most of that video ;) And :109: concerning our recent safety chat, especially with the blower :33: As to the blower; 2 stage in powder dry snow, definitely getting the job done nicely.

:cheers:
Gordy
Talk about locked differential... I've been seriously considering welding my spider gears. I mean, do I really need a stinkin' differential? I mean, this ain't no smooth driving convertible BMW, it's a tractor! :rofl: Maybe I'll open a thread about it.

Now I want one of my Case tractors to smoke this guy's tractor! :bee: :smash:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Check this snowblower out

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:49 pm
Gordy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:30 pm I am thinking locked differential in most of that video ;) And :109: concerning our recent safety chat, especially with the blower :33: As to the blower; 2 stage in powder dry snow, definitely getting the job done nicely.

Gordy
Talk about locked differential... I've been seriously considering welding my spider gears. I mean, do I really need a stinkin' differential? I mean, this ain't no smooth driving convertible BMW, it's a tractor! :rofl: Maybe I'll open a thread about it.

I don't think you could turn a 4 series with a locked diff.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:52 pm

sounds to me like you're challenging me :rofl:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Gordy

Okay here's a crazy idea for you: One hydraulic motor per rear wheel. Probably just make it one of those hydraulic drive hubs. Then some kind of sophisticated sliding scale of sending fluid to the left and right hub according to the position of the front two wheels. If the wheels are straight then both hubs turn at the exact same rate if the wheels are turned hard left then the left hub turns slower than the right hub etc.

Ridiculous overkill I'm sure. But perhaps technically easier to accomplish than a locking or limited slip differential. At least for these Case machines.

And you would have a locked differential at all times, even in a turn. But not a lock that's fighting you, but a lock that's ideal for the turn you're attempting to make.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

You guys are crazy Image. Lol why would someone think about a locked differential or 2 hydro motors running the rear. Lol I mean who would want to have traction all the time. 2 motors have always been on my mind. Something along the lines of a hydraulic drive on a scissor lift. Everytime I'm on one I look at the hydraulic drive motors and steering knuckles and imagine the rear of my ingersoll set up with it. I'd like to have 4 wheel steer and crab walk please. I've never looked into what size motors these are or what they are capable of as far as torque and tire size. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

Gee thanks@Jancoe Now you have planted seeds. Some one will probably water them. I had never thought about scavenging a scissor lift drive system. Now I have to add that to my scavenger hunt.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

thebuildist wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:30 pm

Okay here's a crazy idea for you: One hydraulic motor per rear wheel. Probably just make it one of those hydraulic drive hubs. Then some kind of sophisticated sliding scale of sending fluid to the left and right hub according to the position of the front two wheels. If the wheels are straight then both hubs turn at the exact same rate if the wheels are turned hard left then the left hub turns slower than the right hub etc.

Ridiculous overkill I'm sure. But perhaps technically easier to accomplish than a locking or limited slip differential. At least for these Case machines.

And you would have a locked differential at all times, even in a turn. But not a lock that's fighting you, but a lock that's ideal for the turn you're attempting to make.

Bob
Cub Cadet does something link that with there Syncro Steer zero turn mower . Difference is they use a hydro static unit for each wheel , but instead of steering arms they are controlled by the steering wheel which also control direction of the front wheels . I have a client than has a couple of them , and they drive really nice and are far superior to zero turns on the side of a hill .

That being said I have plans and most of the parts to build a 4wd all hydralic deisel tractor based off 400 series with hydra wheel motors for the front drive axle.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Re: Locked differential or AWD or 4WD

Post by Eugen »

If I were to choose something practical I'd do what Dave has done already, individual brakes for the rear wheels to be able to stop the wheel that's turning when you want to "lock" the differential.

@thebuildist not sure if you mean to put a hydraulic motor directly to the wheel somehow, but you then lose the ability to have two speed ranges right?

@Jancoe sounds interesting yet I don't really understand it. Never seen a scissor lift up close.

@DavidBarkey do you mean a rear axle in front and rear? Like an articulated tractor?

Building an articulated tractor has been on my mind in the past, in part because of the desire of having traction on both rear and front axles. But it seemed to me that you need a stronger engine and hydraulic pump for something like this.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
FUTZ Canada

Post by FUTZ »

DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:35 am
thebuildist wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:30 pm

Bob
Cub Cadet does something link that with there Syncro Steer zero turn mower . Difference is they use a hydro static unit for each wheel , but instead of steering arms they are controlled by the steering wheel which also control direction of the front wheels . I have a client than has a couple of them , and they drive really nice and are far superior to zero turns on the side of a hill .

Interesting, now I want to look at one. About ten years ago there was a Argo type 6 wheeler with rear axles very close and front axle a little ahead. The front wheels steered in a light (high speed) turn but when you turned hard, brakes were applied and you skidded around like a dozer.

That being said I have plans and most of the parts to build a 4wd all hydralic deisel tractor based off 400 series with hydra wheel motors for the front drive axle.
I've also been collecting parts for a similar project. I could make 4 or 5 now, lol. Just gotta git my sh...act together!!!!!
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Locked differential or AWD or 4WD

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:32 am If I were to choose something practical I'd do what Dave has done already, individual brakes for the rear wheels to be able to stop the wheel that's turning when you want to "lock" the differential.

@thebuildist not sure if you mean to put a hydraulic motor directly to the wheel somehow, but you then lose the ability to have two speed ranges right?

@Jancoe sounds interesting yet I don't really understand it. Never seen a scissor lift up close.

@DavidBarkey do you mean a rear axle in front and rear? Like an articulated tractor?

Building an articulated tractor has been on my mind in the past, in part because of the desire of having traction on both rear and front axles. But it seemed to me that you need a stronger engine and hydraulic pump for something like this.
image.png
like this mounted on a spindle each side for the front axle with the 400 series diff in the rear
Attachments
image.png
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder