Broken vise

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
Eugen Canada

Broken vise

Post by Eugen »

A tool box with drawers that I bought about a year ago came with a current production, cheapo 4" vise, one of those like ou buy at Harbour Freight, and here in Canada at Princess Auto. About a month ago I tightened it and the main shaft just snapped. I'm not that strong, so looking closer, it amazed me how thin the shaft was, for this size vise. Today I decided to fix it. Beveled the edges of the shaft where it was broken, and welded it using the little flux core wire welder. This is the welder I put on for sale but didn't get sold yet. I am amazed how good a job this little welder can do. Though I did clean it up on the bench grinder. a little. Now I know not to use my giant force on this vise any more. :rofl:

Pictures
Shaft snapped here, now welded.
Shaft snapped here, now welded.
Installed back on the vise.
Installed back on the vise.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Re: Broken vise

Post by propane1 »

Maybe you want to keep that welder. :D
Nice fix Eugen.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Propane57 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:17 am Maybe you want to keep that welder. :D
Noel
Dave gave me that advice as well and I am very inclined to go this route. This little inverter welder is light and works on 120V but it has good penetration power for what it is. Much easier to lug it around and use it for small fixes. It retails for more than 500 but I got it for less than half on sale, which is probably it's real value. :really:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Good fix Eugen. Maybe your stronger than you think! Better lay off the spinach! :D