Propagating seedlings from cuttings.

It's ground engaging time. Seeds, manure, soil, and everything that goes with them. But that's not all. Cutting and hauling wood, chainsaws and the works!
Harry United States of America

Propagating seedlings from cuttings.

Post by Harry »

I tried doing this once before and didn't have good results. I've watched a lot of videos about doing this and all have some variations to their own process. So here goes round two with about two hundred more. In the past I only got a few to root. I figured my rootone rooting powder was bad ot the planting mixture I used didn't help in the rooting process. Hopefully next spring I'll have a bunch to repot and finally get a nursery of these to transplant.

Keep the Peace :peace: :cop:
Harry
Attachments
Green Giants cuttings
Green Giants cuttings
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Propagating seedlings from cuttings.

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Harry Is that cedar you are propagating ??
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Yes they are from the Cedar family, Arborviates. They are called green giant thuja's. A hydryd from a plant in the Northwest and another from Japan. Supposedly the deer won't eat them, but if they get hungry enough in the dead of winter I think they will eat anything to stay alive. Most of the time I have seen no eating of them but this past winter I did see a little. The only way to get the original plant because they are a hydryd is from cuttings. I originally purchased 300 of them about ten years ago. Most of them survived and today I have a lot of them on my property. I'm hoping to grow more and possibly sell some down the road. Another charastic about them is they can grow very fast once established. Anyone interested You Tube has a lot of video's about them.

Keep the Peace :peace: :cop:
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I meant to reply on this thread but when the thread was created I was on the run and then I lost track.

This is something that has interested me for the last few years, but never did anything about it. Would really like to have a privacy hedge as we're on a corner lot and one of the streets is at times quite busy. Actually I did try to get some cuttings to root, and was not successful at all. They all died and no roots. But then I just put the cuts in water, and it was middle of summer. That same thing worked well for the elder cuttings, which developed lots of roots; perhaps I'll open a thread about the elder bush we got going.

Some fellow here in the village provides small 2-4 ft baby cedar for a price. It looks like he digs them out of the wooded areas nearby. :43: Not sure how good a hedge you end up with though.

Since then I got these rooting boxes but never found time to try them. The plan was to try them this Spring but as usual, other things became priorities.
Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 11.42.39.png
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: