greenhouse heater

It's ground engaging time. Seeds, manure, soil, and everything that goes with them. But that's not all. Cutting and hauling wood, chainsaws and the works!
Eugen Canada

Re: greenhouse heater

Post by Eugen »

@DavidBarkey 16 or 20 inches, not sure. I'll measure next time I can.

@Propane57 just pipes 8 feet deep circulate air.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:20 pm This geothermal heat you are talking about, does it just take heat from the ground, or down to wells, or to a stream ? Just wondering.

How many btu’s is the propane rv heater in your green house Dave. Again, just wondering.

Noel

Can't remember for sure , I think it is 11. Just air running through 6" big O drainage pipe . Below 6' - 7' (here ) the year round temp is 50 -55 F . So in the winter it will keep things from freezing at night and moderate the temp during the day . In the summer it will cool as well. For homes , liquid loops can be used with a heat pump to heat and cool . BUt fro a green house air is cheaper to install and run .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Thanks Dave. What is required to this ground air system. Just fans.

Noel
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

You ground is a little warmer, we only get 48 to 52 and have to get a little deeper.
What type of soil do you have, can you dig a trench 6 to 8 feet deep and have it stand or will it cave in?
Here is mostly sand and if I try to get 8' deep it will be 12' wide at the top. I do get some clay that will stand up and I can dig just the width of the bucket, but I never go in them trenches. Never trust clay.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:41 pm
Propane57 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:20 pm This geothermal heat you are talking about, does it just take heat from the ground, or down to wells, or to a stream ? Just wondering.

How many btu’s is the propane rv heater in your green house Dave. Again, just wondering.

Noel

Can't remember for sure , I think it is 11. Just air running through 6" big O drainage pipe . Below 6' - 7' (here ) the year round temp is 50 -55 F . So in the winter it will keep things from freezing at night and moderate the temp during the day . In the summer it will cool as well. For homes , liquid loops can be used with a heat pump to heat and cool . BUt fro a green house air is cheaper to install and run .

Dave
I read up on that years ago. The problem especially in summer is the humid air condensing in the cool pipes. Add the dust and pollen that get drawn in and stick to the wet walls of the pipe and you get mold. Not good. It would take some good hi quality filters to keep the dust and pollen out of the piping.

:cheers:
Gordy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Gordy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:17 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:41 pm

Noel

Dave
I read up on that years ago. The problem especially in summer is the humid air condensing in the cool pipes. Add the dust and pollen that get drawn in and stick to the wet walls of the pipe and you get mold. Not good. It would take some good hi quality filters to keep the dust and pollen out of the piping.

:cheers:
Gordy
Good point Gordy . Definitely something to keep in mind .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Timj wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:58 pm You ground is a little warmer, we only get 48 to 52 and have to get a little deeper.
What type of soil do you have, can you dig a trench 6 to 8 feet deep and have it stand or will it cave in?
Here is mostly sand and if I try to get 8' deep it will be 12' wide at the top. I do get some clay that will stand up and I can dig just the width of the bucket, but I never go in them trenches. Never trust clay.
50-55 is just a guess , I don't know exactly . I do have a 30' dug well that I could measure the water temp at the end of a pump run and get a better idea . We are on a glacial drift . Many sand with some gravel /rocks and ribbons of clay here and there . The earth is fairly stable and drains well . I would not trust a trench over 4' though . If I am able to do it in the future , I would put the pipe in and back fill as I go . A back hoe and a loader, couple of guys should be able to do a loop long enough to handle a med. sized green house in a weekend . Hopefully next summer . Just to much to finish this summer and recover $$$$ from this year .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:54 pm Thanks Dave. What is required to this ground air system. Just fans.

Noel
Yes and like Gordy pointed out filters and some way to collect condensation and remove it .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:54 am
Timj wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:58 pm You ground is a little warmer, we only get 48 to 52 and have to get a little deeper.
50-55 is just a guess , I don't know exactly . I do have a 30' dug well that I could measure the water temp at the end of a pump run and get a better idea . We are on a glacial drift . Many sand with some gravel /rocks and ribbons of clay here and there . The earth is fairly stable and drains well . I would not trust a trench over 4' though . If I am able to do it in the future , I would put the pipe in and back fill as I go . A back hoe and a loader, couple of guys should be able to do a loop long enough to handle a med. sized green house in a weekend . Hopefully next summer . Just to much to finish this summer and recover $$$$ from this year .

Dave
Sounds alot like here as far as soil conditions. I was thinking mostly about bucket size on the hoe, might as well run a big one, move as much dirt as fast as you can. :highfive:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Must be a formula for sizing the amount of and size of pipe to match the building size ?

Noel