greenhouse heater

It's ground engaging time. Seeds, manure, soil, and everything that goes with them. But that's not all. Cutting and hauling wood, chainsaws and the works!
DavidBarkey Canada

greenhouse heater

Post by DavidBarkey »

Well the :whip: :bla: should be happy . I finally got the 12v propane micro furnace (small RV) in the greenhouse today . Runs off BBQ tank and solar battery bank in greenhouse . After test run set it for 50 degrees F . We will see what the temp is in there in the am before solar gain . If I can maintain over night temps she can start her seeds . :thumbsup: :clap: If not I might have to put cot in the shop . :rofl: Here's hoping that another off the list.

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Re: greenhouse heater

Post by Eugen »

Hope it works Dave! I'm curious about that as I've been interested in setting up a greenhouse for some time. A few days ago I came across this video. I don't have the land for setting up geothermal anything, but you might. Not sure it applies to our climate, meaning, I don't know how deep one needs to go with the pipes to get a decent temperature here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O3ifR-3zvs

Oh, one more thing I wanted to say. When our village was vibrant, in the 30s,40s,50s, when it was a real port, there was a fellow here who had an unheated greenhouse and he grew in it lots of things. Look

Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 15.19.58.png
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Is the heater exhaust vented outside Dave?

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Eugen Yes geothermal will work up here, but you need to bury your air pipes about 8' deep . I am thinking about it down the road when we expand the greenhouse . There is a length per square foot needed . The larger the greenhouse the greater the ability to maintain heat over night . Larger grow houses can have compost units in them and they give off a lot of heat . Larger unit can house critters and they help with heat but need to make sure they don't over heat just like the plants.
Ability to grow your own food plus clean fresh water will be worth more than gold sooner than you think .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:36 pm Is the heater exhaust vented outside Dave?

Noel
Yes , combustion air in and out from out side . I extended the intake and exhaust pipes to recover some of the exhaust heat as the unit is only 75% efficient. The extension are 4' long and the intake is plastic lines to stop whore frosting . I plan on put in in a Battery CO detector just because . It is a complete unit from a tent trailer with a 2 stage regulator to a 20 lb tank . Yes I did the bubble test on all my connections . Being a beer drinker I am familiar with gas leaks , or at least the :bla: :whip: is . :rofl: :rofl:

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Once the backhoe's running your 8ft deep pipes can go 10 ft or deeper :rofl:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Thanks Dave. Sounds good. The 75% efficient is law on some heaters. Some old heaters were lower than that and government stepped in to make them more efficient, so they passed the law that they had to be 75% efficient or more. That was years ago. In some green houses they did not vent the heaters out. Propane exhaust, like most exhaust, has a lot of moisture from it and the green houses wanted that. And the exhaust gives of a lot of carbon dioxide, which the plants also want. But, if the burner goes haywire and starts to burn a yellowish flame it can become carbon monoxide. Safest is to have the exhaust out. Good for you.
I hear of people in the US using those non vented heaters in their houses, Jumpins may be 100 % efficient, but you could be 100% dead from it too. I’ve seen videos lately of some fellas with sub compact or compact tractors with cabs doin snow removal, using those infrared propane heaters with a one pound propane cylinder hooked to it, in their cab for heat. Jumpins.

Rambling again. :giggle:

Noel
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I collected for free about ten old thermopane sliding doors around ten years ago. I've got them stored behind my shop with a tarp over them. I've wanted to build a greenhouse for years and just have not gotten around to it. I think I'll be in the ground before it ever gets done!

Keep the Peace
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Being in the rv service business I come across little goodies that I can use all the time. Rv furnaces are one of them. Just so your aware. That little 12k-16k btu furnace will go through more propane than you may realize. You said you extended the intake and exhaust pipes. Don't put any screens on the ends to stop bugs and whatnot from entering. With extended runs you want all the flow you can get through them. How big is the greenhouse? Sounds like a nice project you go got going on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

20181026_123222.jpg
This is the greenhouse guys . 8' x 12' x 7' ceiling . Insulated , double pain windows (patio door glass ) with vapour barrier on the inside of them . I purposely vented out outside because there is not enough space to have enough plant mass to offset the CO2 . The extension tubes a straight run 48" and are slightly oversized to reduce any extra resistance .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder