greenhouse heater

It's ground engaging time. Seeds, manure, soil, and everything that goes with them. But that's not all. Cutting and hauling wood, chainsaws and the works!
Gordy United States of America

Re: greenhouse heater

Post by Gordy »

DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Gordy I have read a lot of those articles over the years . Mine is a mix of some of those ideas . Very tall ceiling height windows , insulated , with 2' frost wall insulation . solar powered battery bank . I wanted to go in ground and air tubes , but was not in the cards at the time .
Hemlock post and beam construction with post bottoms tarred . Exterior is insulated garage door panels . with reflective foil foam board on the inside . It get so hot in there we had had to install a self opening vent window . Temps in late winter can get over 100 degrees F without it .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

:congrats: :69: :thumbsup: it worked :phew: . 52 F / 11 C this morning when I went out . No :bla: :cuss: :cuss: from the :whip: . She can get ready to start seeds .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

David I love your greenhouse. I could see myself erecting one similiar to your's on the back of a current she-shed on my property. The only problem is the rear of the shed faces west. So I would have to build one with most of the glass facing south. Maybe a hoop house would work best for me!

Keep the Peace
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:55 am @Gordy I have read a lot of those articles over the years . Mine is a mix of some of those ideas . Very tall ceiling height windows , insulated , with 2' frost wall insulation . solar powered battery bank . I wanted to go in ground and air tubes , but was not in the cards at the time .
Hemlock post and beam construction with post bottoms tarred . Exterior is insulated garage door panels . with reflective foil foam board on the inside . It get so hot in there we had had to install a self opening vent window . Temps in late winter can get over 100 degrees F without it .

Dave
Sounds good :thumbsup: If you go on that last link and scroll down quite aways, there is a heat capture idea using old car radiators near the ceiling to heat water. There are many ways to store the heat, in ground like you mentioned, or 55 gallon barrels (painted black of coarse) daisy chained together so the heated water flows from one to the other..... and back to the radiator to be heated again. And the barrels make a good base for a bench and plant trays ;) Is your solar setup large enough to handle a fan and small pump ?

:cheers:
Gordy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Gordy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:37 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:55 am @Gordy I have read a lot of those articles over the years . Mine is a mix of some of those ideas . Very tall ceiling height windows , insulated , with 2' frost wall insulation . solar powered battery bank . I wanted to go in ground and air tubes , but was not in the cards at the time .

Dave
Sounds good :thumbsup: If you go on that last link and scroll down quite aways, there is a heat capture idea using old car radiators near the ceiling to heat water. There are many ways to store the heat, in ground like you mentioned, or 55 gallon barrels (painted black of coarse) daisy chained together so the heated water flows from one to the other..... and back to the radiator to be heated again. And the barrels make a good base for a bench and plant trays ;) Is your solar setup large enough to handle a fan and small pump ?

:cheers:
Gordy
I use a similar idea to steal cold from my well water to chill our cold room . A fan coil unit used for cold water instead of hot .
I have a solar hot water capture device that will eventually be installed .
I have about 300 watts of charging and a 250 watt wind turbine yet to be installed .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Jancoe wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:36 pm Being in the rv service business I come across little goodies that I can use all the time. Rv furnaces are one of them. Just so your aware. That little 12k-16k btu furnace will go through more propane than you may realize. You said you extended the intake and exhaust pipes. Don't put any screens on the ends to stop bugs and whatnot from entering. With extended runs you want all the flow you can get through them. How big is the greenhouse? Sounds like a nice project you go got going on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Update , just finish first 20lb BBQ tank . Yes that was faster than expected even with a few bitter cold nights . Well, I know now it works . Going to leave it off untill she actually plants some seeds . Th extra thermal mass will help soak up more sun during the day and hold it longer into the night . @Eugen , Geothermal loops are sounding better all the time . But not this year , just way to much other stuff to finish first .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:58 am Update , just finish first 20lb BBQ tank . Yes that was faster than expected even with a few bitter cold nights . Well, I know now it works . Going to leave it off untill she actually plants some seeds . Th extra thermal mass will help soak up more sun during the day and hold it longer into the night . @Eugen , Geothermal loops are sounding better all the time . But not this year , just way to much other stuff to finish first .

Dave
If I had anywhere near the size of your land I would not hesitate doing it. And there's no reason why you should not do it for the house. All you need is pipe and a backhoe. You know where the backhoe is. :D Maybe all we need is to build a narrower bucket. Or not, as you may lay multiple pipes in the same trench.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:15 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:58 am Update , just finish first 20lb BBQ tank . Yes that was faster than expected even with a few bitter cold nights . Well, I know now it works . Going to leave it off untill she actually plants some seeds . Th extra thermal mass will help soak up more sun during the day and hold it longer into the night . @Eugen , Geothermal loops are sounding better all the time . But not this year , just way to much other stuff to finish first .

Dave
If I had anywhere near the size of your land I would not hesitate doing it. And there's no reason why you should not do it for the house. All you need is pipe and a backhoe. You know where the backhoe is. :D Maybe all we need is to build a narrower bucket. Or not, as you may lay multiple pipes in the same trench.
How wide is your bucket ?

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

This geothermal heat you are talking about, does it just take heat from the ground, or down to wells, or to a stream ? Just wondering.

How many btu’s is the propane rv heater in your green house Dave. Again, just wondering.

Noel