Time for a Viking burial

It's ground engaging time. Seeds, manure, soil, and everything that goes with them. But that's not all. Cutting and hauling wood, chainsaws and the works!
DavidBarkey Canada

Time for a Viking burial

Post by DavidBarkey »

The unfortunate side of having livestock that are pets is sometimes you have deadstock . Went out this morning as usual to give water to ducks and chickens to find one of our young ducks had passed away . It looks like she passed in her sleep . There had been no signs of illness or anything to date from her . I can only assume she had an issue we did not know about . Our birds are like pets and feel bad when we lose one . My grandson Jake is going to do online school today so he can be home to help me with the Viking burial . Unless we process a meat bird they all are cremated for safety .

It suck but it is part of having an attachment to your animals .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Re: Time for a Viking burial

Post by Eugen »

I would not like getting attached to animals I may eat eventually :109:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:31 am I would not like getting attached to animals I may eat eventually :109:
We have our layers and our a couple boys in the chickens and ducks . When we hatch new , we keep the girls and dispatch the boys when grown to camp freezer . We only keep the best boys for breeding . Any A$$ holes go to camp freezer including bad hens . But the ones that we keep you tent to get attached to as we put a lot of care into them . When one passes not processed (butchered) we cremate in the burn barrel so as not to have issues with predators , sickness and well winter .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Makes sense Dave. The way we humans can distinguish the different personalities of animals reminds me of this old joke. A military unit shipwrecks on a deserted island. There was plenty of food, fresh water, and a lot of goats. As time went on, the soldiers being lonely eventually started to have relationships with the goats, except the captain who was an old fashioned gentleman and wanted to stay decent no matter what. Again, years went by and all lost hope they'd be saved ever, and so the captain decided he too can no longer resist. After his first "time" as he came out of the bushes all the soldiers are laughing at him. Upset he confronts them, "Why you all laughing, you've been doing this for years!." 'True" says a soldier "but not with the ugliest one!" :lol:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: