Live traps , uuggg

It's ground engaging time. Seeds, manure, soil, and everything that goes with them. But that's not all. Cutting and hauling wood, chainsaws and the works!
DavidBarkey Canada

Live traps , uuggg

Post by DavidBarkey »

Live traps never seam to catch what you are after . Trying to relocate a coon that has become a problem . First nothing , keep moving it . Now in the last couple of nights . 1st an Opossum and a big one , now a Skunk and again a big one . The Opossum got relocated to a nice forest a few miles away thanks to my buddy Peter. The skunk is having no part of anyone getting close to it , so relocating it is out of the question . So a friend is coming to give it a send off with a bang . Did not want to go that route, but it is not leaving any choice .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Seabee United States of America

Re: Live traps , uuggg

Post by Seabee »

If there are no pets in the area, Golden Fly Bait and soda pop gets rid of them fast.

Bill
Bill Moyer
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

I have 6 large live traps and 12 "Dog safe" coon traps. I have caught 12 coons and 5 possum so far this year. No offence but turning them loose around here would be just passing my problem on to someone else. Mr Ruger delivers a 36 grain hollow point sleeping pill.

For the skunks in a live trap. I have shot them, but have always had them spray and the stink hangs around a long time :barf: A better way is to hold an old blanket out in front of you, arms spread wide and high to hide yourself. Then walk slowly to the trap and cover it. The skunk does not see the blanket coming towards them as a threat, and once covered will not spray in an enclosed area. Now you can grab the blanket and the handle of the trap at the same time and move it to the back of the truck. What you do is up to you, I have a drainage ditch just down the road, I hold the trap and blanket over the edge of the colvert, loosen my grip enough to let the trap drop but hold the blanket. It is quick in that the bubbles come up in under 30 seconds. I have done this to probably 20 over the years and not gotten sprayed. OH a gaff hook can be used to recover the trap, Or if you know skunks are likely tie a light rope to the trap before hand. 20 feet of rope works well to remove a skunk loaded trap from the sweet corn rows ;)

:cheers:
Gordy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Gordy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:47 pm I have 6 large live traps and 12 "Dog safe" coon traps. I have caught 12 coons and 5 possum so far this year. No offence but turning them loose around here would be just passing my problem on to someone else. Mr Ruger delivers a 36 grain hollow point sleeping pill.

For the skunks in a live trap. I have shot them, but have always had them spray and the stink hangs around a long time :barf: A better way is to hold an old blanket out in front of you, arms spread wide and high to hide yourself. Then walk slowly to the trap and cover it. The skunk does not see the blanket coming towards them as a threat, and once covered will not spray in an enclosed area. Now you can grab the blanket and the handle of the trap at the same time and move it to the back of the truck. What you do is up to you, I have a drainage ditch just down the road, I hold the trap and blanket over the edge of the colvert, loosen my grip enough to let the trap drop but hold the blanket. It is quick in that the bubbles come up in under 30 seconds. I have done this to probably 20 over the years and not gotten sprayed. OH a gaff hook can be used to recover the trap, Or if you know skunks are likely tie a light rope to the trap before hand. 20 feet of rope works well to remove a skunk loaded trap from the sweet corn rows ;)

:cheers:
Gordy
I googled Havahart traps and they said the same thing about the blanket had an old one (soon to shop rags ) and tried that but no mater how slow and quiet I tried to come up to it , it raised its tail. I am going to give up on the trap for a while ( the wife said so ). I am still not cleared to drive so my options are limited as to dealing with it . I have to rely on my buddy to come deal with it . Might have to resort in sit by my upstairs window and wait for it to turn on the motion lights and the pellet rifle may not kill it but a few stingers in the ass might make it think twice about coming in the yard .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I had an abundance of Chipmunks this year and had a live trap set in a front shrub bed. I have caught 11 this summer. I went away for a five days and when I came home there was a skunk in the trap. Small trap for a skunk but it wanted the peanut butter really bad. I threw a old bath towel over the trap and carried it way in the back behind my property to a farmers corn field. I set the trap down and removed the towel. Then observed it for awhile and saw no movement of the skunk. I kicked the trap which made it roll over and still no movement. A second kick caused the trap to flip over and the doors flew open and the skunk scrambled away into a nearby hedge row leaving it's scent as it ran away. I thought the skunk must have died in the trap but I guess it was packed into the trap so tight it couldn't move. If it happens again I'll make sure to bring my 22 along for insurance.

I smelled the skunk scent for the rest of the day. Later a guy came over to pick up an old roll cage for a stock car he was building. When we went in the back woods to get the roll cage he looked at me funny and said "what have you been smoking back here." I told him the story about the skunk and we both laughed.

Keep the Peace
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226