Saving a few bucks on lawn fertilizer

It's ground engaging time. Seeds, manure, soil, and everything that goes with them. But that's not all. Cutting and hauling wood, chainsaws and the works!
MattA United States of America

Re: Saving a few bucks on lawn fertilizer

Post by MattA »

Timj wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:26 pm
MattA wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:45 pm Anybody own a decent tow behind spreader?
I have a large Agri fab, I'd have to get the model off it. Works good, has pneumatic tires. I use it for food plots, don't fertilize my lawn.

You can borrow it if you bring it back. :rofl:
I've got a Brinley BS36BH? Its #1 on this list but certainly has its issues. Mainly the flat bottom preventing all of the fertilizer from being dispensed and poor flow rate adjustability. At some point I may fab up a shield to prevent the fertilizer from being spread on my tractor and install a grate to help break up the fertilizer.

https://www.outdoorhappens.com/best-pul ... d-or-farm/
Ingersoll 4016
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

MattA wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:50 am
Timj wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:26 pm
MattA wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:45 pm Anybody own a decent tow behind spreader?
I have a large Agri fab, I'd have to get the model off it. Works good, has pneumatic tires. I use it for food plots, don't fertilize my lawn.

You can borrow it if you bring it back. :rofl:
I've got a Brinley BS36BH? Its #1 on this list but certainly has its issues. Mainly the flat bottom preventing all of the fertilizer from being dispensed and poor flow rate adjustability. At some point I may fab up a shield to prevent the fertilizer from being spread on my tractor and install a grate to help break up the fertilizer.

https://www.outdoorhappens.com/best-pul ... d-or-farm/
Mine is an older 125lb model. Should have a shield to not spread on the tractor. Was always stressing putting a bag of expensive, fine seed in and hoping you got the spread rate right. :pullhair:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Tim I keep a log of my fertilizer settings for each type of fertilizer/lime/seed that I put down. Fertilizer is in the 1.5-2 setting. Lime and grass seed are in the 3-4 range. Not sure what the 4-10 range is for... maybe spreading salt in the winter? I'm thinking of modifying the mechanism so that setting 10 (wide open) is more like setting 5. The trouble I have is there is so little play in the settings at low rates for fertilizer that I typically get the application rate too low and have to cover the lawn again. I typically use a low rate and hit the lawn in two directions. This helps eliminate lawn striping from incorrect fertilizer application overlap.
Ingersoll 4016