Page 1 of 1

Holy mowin

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:40 pm
by Timj
So it's the middle of July and I just hit 25 hours of mowing for the season. :violin: I know we started the earliest I can remember, but in early June it was dried up and went 3weeks without cutting. Usually it's burnt up now and we get a little break. :124:
Though I'm not really complaining, I enjoy the seat time. :69: and the yard looks great.
:48: Tim

Re: Holy mowin

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:42 am
by Eugen
Ha! Nice!

I only mowed once, and even that not everywhere. Had to use the scythe in a few spots, the vegetation is up to my belt! :smash:

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:53 am
by Gordy
Sure saving gas this year :122: We did mow a week ago, but that was just to knock down the green weeds in the brown grass :headbash:

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:34 pm
by Chad
We're having the opposite problem down here - rain almost every other day for past many weeks. Another 2 inches yesterday! Definitely an unusually wet summer, glad our tenant farmer was able to get the wheat off (he was removing combine head as more rain settled in). I had to stop mowing at the same time, only half done and won't get another chance until maybe Wednesday. Too bad there's no way to send it to where it's needed!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:49 pm
by MattA
Been getting a decent amount of rain here too. Usually the summer rain storms go either north or south of here and skip over us. Lawn grew about 6" this past week. I'm headed out to mow it when the wife gets home. I can't make it two weeks right now. Been there and did that last spring. 5hrs and 4 gallons of gas later my field was turned back into my lawn.

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:16 pm
by Eugen
This corner

C4C0F9FC-F8BA-4B85-AA03-5827A0DE726E.jpeg

is asking for this

514C53EF-95AA-4B9F-BD0A-9C1A440162F4.jpeg

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:11 am
by Harry
I've torrential rain for four days. Everyone around me had their yards turned into ponds. So much rain the ditches couldn't handle it all. I mowed last week and in my back yard I was driving through water and just blowing water and grass every where. I had to be careful not to throw wet grass on my house, patio, shed and pool. My garden was completely under water and the plants are all turning yellow. I think it's all going to die and forget about a garden this year. With the hard winds and rain many people had branches down. I did have some evergreen trees blow down in my tree nursery which needed to be cut down anyway. I wouldn't wish this weather on anyone.

Keep the Peace
Harry

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:37 am
by Eugen
I know Harry, we had about 3 weeks of rain, only got a break this weekend. A few days ago a small tornado hit a town just 40 minutes to the South of us, lots of damage.

Our lot here is so low that most of the winter the entire lawn is under water if the temperatures are high enough. I wanted so much to have a garden that I brought in 10 tonnes of top soil, to raise it a bit because we like planting garlic in the Fall and didn't want it to stay under water all Winter. These last 3 week I was worried that the garlic will rot, from all the rain. Pulled it out yesterday and it's mostly fine. The few tomato plants we got are fine too, most likely because of that top soil that I got. Meanwhile the prairies farms are hurting big time because of the heat and drought. Crazy weather patterns.

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:55 pm
by Gordy
I'm in the dry zone :violin: Seems like in the last 3 months we get some rain every week and a half or 2, 2-3 tenths each time in my gauge. The humidity from the lakes drying up has kept the dew point high, and I think the morning dew is the only thing keeping the corn and beans alive now.

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:02 pm
by DavidBarkey
Harry wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:11 am I've torrential rain for four days. Everyone around me had their yards turned into ponds. So much rain the ditches couldn't handle it all. I mowed last week and in my back yard I was driving through water and just blowing water and grass every where. I had to be careful not to throw wet grass on my house, patio, shed and pool. My garden was completely under water and the plants are all turning yellow. I think it's all going to die and forget about a garden this year. With the hard winds and rain many people had branches down. I did have some evergreen trees blow down in my tree nursery which needed to be cut down anyway. I wouldn't wish this weather on anyone.

Keep the Peace
Harry
Wow , thats sucks Harry .
Stay safe .
Dave

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:12 pm
by DavidBarkey
Gordy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:55 pm I'm in the dry zone :violin: Seems like in the last 3 months we get some rain every week and a half or 2, 2-3 tenths each time in my gauge. The humidity from the lakes drying up has kept the dew point high, and I think the morning dew is the only thing keeping the corn and beans alive now.
The weather patters are so screwed up this year . Each year it seams to me to get worse . What is the usual weather patters pre 20 years ago . Do you see the same level of change as we are . Some areas are getting horrific storms and or flooding while others see drought conditions all of which they have not seen in there life times .
Maybe Harry can divert some of his excess water to you . It might be a bit of a task but a Case back hoes can do a lot .
Stay safe
Dave

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:15 pm
by Gordy
DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:12 pm The weather patters are so screwed up this year . Each year it seams to me to get worse . What is the usual weather patters pre 20 years ago . Do you see the same level of change as we are . Some areas are getting horrific storms and or flooding while others see drought conditions all of which they have not seen in there life times .
Maybe Harry can divert some of his excess water to you . It might be a bit of a task but a Case back hoes can do a lot .
Stay safe
Dave
I remember hot dry years as a kid in the early 70's. But I also remember Dec 7 as the opener for spearing northern pike. In the mid 80's we'd go out on 6+ inches of ice, for how many years now it is still open water on those same lakes on the 7th :(( Everybody wants to blame it on global warming, maybe but thinking back on my history lessons about the great depression and the dust bowl days makes some think it just cyclical.

Gordy

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:31 pm
by Timj
We are usually dry and burnt up brown this time of summer, but we been getting rain at least weekly, 4+" last Thursday. Gordy and I are really not that far apart, 200 miles, but the way the rain has been coming up from the south you would think we had a mountain range between us.

Gordy, as a kid in the 70s all we wanted was for Dad to get his deer on opening weekend so we could get on the ice on Thanksgiving and catch some pike. Been a long time since we had safe ice that early.
:geek: Tim

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:04 pm
by Timj
Just got done mowing the lawn, puts me at 51 hours so far this year. Should be the last time before I put the vac on for leaf clean up. Then a couple of more rounds after that. :48:

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:16 pm
by Eugen
You guys are so on top of things with the mowing and the glowing makes me a little jealous. I have this I don't know how realistic hope to get one more mowing before the snow flies to reach a grand total of three mowing this year. 😁

All this raining isn't helping my cause, :65:

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:15 pm
by Timj
The shorter days and a little dryer have slowed the grass down, today was two weeks since I mowed. Otherwise it's been weekly or less since June. I like the seat time, but it's been a lot of mowing. I can't imagine what it would be if I fertilized.
I'm just going off the hour meter, I gotta check that thing, I know I was on for over 4hours today, and it recorded a little over 3.5.

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:50 pm
by thebuildist
Well, there was a 20 year-long cooling trend from 1951 through the 70's, with 1979 being the second coldest year in the last 150 yrs. That's why Time Magazine and National Geographic and everyone was having a cow about the COMING ICE AGE. Since then things have gone back toward normal, even the high side of normal.

Supposedly 2021 is the hottest year in history. It's not the hottest year in my history, not even close. Up until Y2K everyone agreed that 1936 was the hottest year ever. You know the Dust Bowl and thousands of deaths and all that? NASA has decided that 1936 wasn't that hot after all.

I'll admit that I'm suspicious of Nasa's ability to travel back in time and divine that the historical temperature records need to be erased and rewritten based on our "better modern understanding". I'm pretty sure thermometers haven't changed that much.

But then I do have a suspicious nature. All the scientists at NASA are probably brilliant and omniscient and have perfect purity in their hearts. If they're sure that they have the need and the right to re-write historical temperature records and data, then they must be correct.

I'll just go out back and enjoy this beautiful Georgia fall evening. Most years it would still be blazing hot and muggy out there, but not this year.

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:05 pm
by MattA
That's a lot of mowing. I'm not sure I've racked up 51hrs this year yet but at 2.5+hrs per mowing almost every week, I've certainly got a lot of extra seat time this summer.

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:26 pm
by Gordy
My mower has seen more use (hrs) in the last month than it did all summer, because it finally started raining again :spin: We sure saved on gas this summer :drink:

Gordy

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:57 am
by Timj
MattA wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:05 pm That's a lot of mowing. I'm not sure I've racked up 51hrs this year yet but at 2.5+hrs per mowing almost every week, I've certainly got a lot of extra seat time this summer.
I get 2 1/2 to 3 hours on my yard at home depending on if I cut it all, and average about 4 hours when I go do the shop. Only did shop 4 times this summer so it was slow going when I did.

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:31 pm
by MattA
Timj wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:57 am
MattA wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:05 pm That's a lot of mowing. I'm not sure I've racked up 51hrs this year yet but at 2.5+hrs per mowing almost every week, I've certainly got a lot of extra seat time this summer.
I get 2 1/2 to 3 hours on my yard at home depending on if I cut it all, and average about 4 hours when I go do the shop. Only did shop 4 times this summer so it was slow going when I did.
Sounds like you have a bit more lawn to cut than I do. Most of the time I use my hydravac. Leaves a really nice looking lawn. It does add 20-30 minutes to cutting the lawn. The 16HP Vanguard engine in my 4016 just can't keep up most of the time with my RM48 deck and the hydravac. On my bucket list is more HP... May be a newer Ingersoll or a new engine in this one?

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:47 pm
by Timj
:124: so the mowing is done here for the year. I mowed and sucked up the leaves today, that's it, I'm done. The few leaves left in the trees the wind can take care of. Today brings me to 64 hours of mowing on the 4118 this year. Time to get ready for snow. :112: and get some seat time in the deer stand.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:23 am
by DavidBarkey
Timj wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:47 pm :124: so the mowing is done here for the year. I mowed and sucked up the leaves today, that's it, I'm done. The few leaves left in the trees the wind can take care of. Today brings me to 64 hours of mowing on the 4118 this year. Time to get ready for snow. :112: and get some seat time in the deer stand.
Good luck hunting . I can tell you that My father inlaw and the guys have got 2 so far this year . Central Ontario.

Dave

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:44 am
by Eugen
Good luck @Timj ! I think we're missing a hunting and fishing section! :smash: :cheers:

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:38 am
by Gordy
Good luck. Just incase you have not seen how to properly skin a deer here's a picture ;)
image.png
Gordy

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:34 am
by MattA
Tim - That's a lot of mowing this year. Looks like you have about 13 hours in mowing/leaf cleanup.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:30 pm
by Timj
MattA wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:34 am Tim - That's a lot of mowing this year. Looks like you have about 13 hours in mowing/leaf cleanup.
I've never really kept track before, but I know it's more than last year.
I did the leaves multiple times this year and the grass kept growing. We didn't get frost till a couple of weeks ago. The trees all dropped their leaves at different times and over a longer time than normal. In some ways it was kinda nice, yesterday was the only time I had the deck plowing a pile in front of it.
Last year I cleaned up a few early, the rest all fell at once. A very windy day and they were all gone and I didn't have to do any work.