Holy mowin

It's ground engaging time. Seeds, manure, soil, and everything that goes with them. But that's not all. Cutting and hauling wood, chainsaws and the works!
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Holy mowin

Post by DavidBarkey »

Gordy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:55 pm I'm in the dry zone :violin: Seems like in the last 3 months we get some rain every week and a half or 2, 2-3 tenths each time in my gauge. The humidity from the lakes drying up has kept the dew point high, and I think the morning dew is the only thing keeping the corn and beans alive now.
The weather patters are so screwed up this year . Each year it seams to me to get worse . What is the usual weather patters pre 20 years ago . Do you see the same level of change as we are . Some areas are getting horrific storms and or flooding while others see drought conditions all of which they have not seen in there life times .
Maybe Harry can divert some of his excess water to you . It might be a bit of a task but a Case back hoes can do a lot .
Stay safe
Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:12 pm The weather patters are so screwed up this year . Each year it seams to me to get worse . What is the usual weather patters pre 20 years ago . Do you see the same level of change as we are . Some areas are getting horrific storms and or flooding while others see drought conditions all of which they have not seen in there life times .
Maybe Harry can divert some of his excess water to you . It might be a bit of a task but a Case back hoes can do a lot .
Stay safe
Dave
I remember hot dry years as a kid in the early 70's. But I also remember Dec 7 as the opener for spearing northern pike. In the mid 80's we'd go out on 6+ inches of ice, for how many years now it is still open water on those same lakes on the 7th :(( Everybody wants to blame it on global warming, maybe but thinking back on my history lessons about the great depression and the dust bowl days makes some think it just cyclical.

:cheers:
Gordy
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

We are usually dry and burnt up brown this time of summer, but we been getting rain at least weekly, 4+" last Thursday. Gordy and I are really not that far apart, 200 miles, but the way the rain has been coming up from the south you would think we had a mountain range between us.

Gordy, as a kid in the 70s all we wanted was for Dad to get his deer on opening weekend so we could get on the ice on Thanksgiving and catch some pike. Been a long time since we had safe ice that early.
:geek: Tim
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:

Post by Timj »

Just got done mowing the lawn, puts me at 51 hours so far this year. Should be the last time before I put the vac on for leaf clean up. Then a couple of more rounds after that. :48:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

You guys are so on top of things with the mowing and the glowing makes me a little jealous. I have this I don't know how realistic hope to get one more mowing before the snow flies to reach a grand total of three mowing this year. 😁

All this raining isn't helping my cause, :65:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by Timj »

The shorter days and a little dryer have slowed the grass down, today was two weeks since I mowed. Otherwise it's been weekly or less since June. I like the seat time, but it's been a lot of mowing. I can't imagine what it would be if I fertilized.
I'm just going off the hour meter, I gotta check that thing, I know I was on for over 4hours today, and it recorded a little over 3.5.
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Well, there was a 20 year-long cooling trend from 1951 through the 70's, with 1979 being the second coldest year in the last 150 yrs. That's why Time Magazine and National Geographic and everyone was having a cow about the COMING ICE AGE. Since then things have gone back toward normal, even the high side of normal.

Supposedly 2021 is the hottest year in history. It's not the hottest year in my history, not even close. Up until Y2K everyone agreed that 1936 was the hottest year ever. You know the Dust Bowl and thousands of deaths and all that? NASA has decided that 1936 wasn't that hot after all.

I'll admit that I'm suspicious of Nasa's ability to travel back in time and divine that the historical temperature records need to be erased and rewritten based on our "better modern understanding". I'm pretty sure thermometers haven't changed that much.

But then I do have a suspicious nature. All the scientists at NASA are probably brilliant and omniscient and have perfect purity in their hearts. If they're sure that they have the need and the right to re-write historical temperature records and data, then they must be correct.

I'll just go out back and enjoy this beautiful Georgia fall evening. Most years it would still be blazing hot and muggy out there, but not this year.
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

That's a lot of mowing. I'm not sure I've racked up 51hrs this year yet but at 2.5+hrs per mowing almost every week, I've certainly got a lot of extra seat time this summer.
Ingersoll 4016
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

My mower has seen more use (hrs) in the last month than it did all summer, because it finally started raining again :spin: We sure saved on gas this summer :drink:

:cheers:
Gordy

Post by Timj »

MattA wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:05 pm That's a lot of mowing. I'm not sure I've racked up 51hrs this year yet but at 2.5+hrs per mowing almost every week, I've certainly got a lot of extra seat time this summer.
I get 2 1/2 to 3 hours on my yard at home depending on if I cut it all, and average about 4 hours when I go do the shop. Only did shop 4 times this summer so it was slow going when I did.