Gypsi moth be gone

It's ground engaging time. Seeds, manure, soil, and everything that goes with them. But that's not all. Cutting and hauling wood, chainsaws and the works!
Spike188 Canada

Gypsi moth be gone

Post by Spike188 »

This is the second year of gypsy moth infestation in Southern Ontario. We are on a steep learning curve with how to reduce defoliation and tree kill.

300 feet of water hose
3500 psi gas powered pressure washer
one bottle of dish soap
time taken to adjust the soap to water ratio
All of the above $500
20210607_145222-1.jpg
Case 646 and trailer priceless
The pressure washer is dead weight when trying to lug it around a couple of acres.

Soaking the trees with a mild detergent brought the caterpillars down out of the canopy. Waited about 1/2 then spot sprayed the critters with a high concentrate of soap as they gathered on the trunks.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
Eugen Canada

Re: Gypsi moth be gone

Post by Eugen »

I gave up! Didn't even look for a solution. Not sure what I can do even after seeing what you've done. We have two huge ash trees next to the house. I think I need a fire truck to spray those :)
Last edited by Eugen on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

duplicate post needs to be deleted
Last edited by Eugen on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

They are horrible...

They blew up back when I was a kid in PA. Really wiping out forest. Fortunately, they caught some plague, and mostly died back. They're back in the neighborhood now though, I've been seeing them for a couple years again, but nothing like when I was young. If they hit us big again, it'll be ugly since such a high percentage of our forest is/was ash. With that pretty much all dead, there's fewer trees for those fuckers to concentrate on.
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I have not seen any gypsy moths here in my area as of yet. I do see a lot of dead ash trees though. I have a wooded area on my property and most was ash trees. I keep wanting to get in there to cut them down for firewood, but it has not happened yet.

Keep the Peace
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Chad Canada

Post by Chad »

Nice Spike! I like that setup :)

Like Eugen, I haven't really attempted to do anything this year about them, aside from wrapping the big oak in front of our house with sticky tape (not very effective). I thought last year was bad but it's nothing compared to this year. The local Niagara chapter of the Ontario Woodlot Association conducted an aerial spray program around here this year, but I missed the deadline. Be curious to see how effective it is.

So far around here it's just the Bur Oak that they are attacking. Our Ash trees (the ones still alive) haven't been hit, or the Maples...yet.

It's really a shame - like Toolslinger says there is usually a virus that can wipe them out every 7-10 years apparently, hopefully for us that's not far off.

Add them to the list of yet another invasive species attack on our forests...along with chestnut blight, EAB, dutch elm disease, beech bark disease to name a few.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Out cutting the grass 3 weeks ago I got hit by those little buggers . The wind was blowing them out of the trees by the thousands . I had some "sting me " , felt like a mosquito bite. Did not think anything of it other than be annoyed . Next day blew up in a bad rash on both arms ant the back of my neck . Look like I had the Poxes . By now most the rash is gone now . Itched so bad wanted to take 40 grit to it . The trees are not the only things suffering from them .
Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That sounds horrible Dave! I've heard of this type of reaction to the hairs on the caterpillars. Nasty :furious:

There are a couple of robins around here with one or two caterpillars in their beak almost constantly. I want to give them a medal!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

Never had a reaction to them thankfully... Actually this is the first I've ever heard of someone having one from GM. Some caterpillars can really screw you up though, so I don't suppose I should be shocked...

Our current invasion is Spotted Lantern Fly. Yet another imported bug without any real predator. These things eat everything. They're doing a number on the vineyards around us, and they eat hopps too, which are relatively pest resistant otherwise. (even the deer don't bother them) I find them mid field with no trees around, and then all the way back in the woods, far from any fields. They've got excellent camouflage, until they fly someplace, so you don't notice them until the bark of your tree looks odd, and you realize it's covered.
So far, no selective pesticides for them. You can poison their favorite tree (Tree of Heaven, also an invasive) if you have them, but if not, you're kinda stuck doing broad application. Most things that are effective against them also will do a number on bees. They did find one fungus that seems to attack them that's native to us in PA, so I'm sure the chemical folks are hard at work on that...

Can we please stop bringing newer, and crazier bugs here...

Hopefully they found all those insane murder hornet nests out west last year.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

We have two young trees, about 2" trunk, a poplar and an oak. Both are completely full of these awful caterpillars, almost no leaves left. I noticed too late. Plus we have a watering ban. :furious:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E