Old sayings / wives tales

It's ground engaging time. Seeds, manure, soil, and everything that goes with them. But that's not all. Cutting and hauling wood, chainsaws and the works!
JSinMO United States of America

Old sayings / wives tales

Post by JSinMO »

I was mowing the grass this evening and noticed this.
5859C963-E27F-476B-A54F-CE640A850B42.jpeg
Not sure if you can tell, but that is a picture of our pecan tree leafing out!
The old saying is “When the pecan trees bud out there won’t be another frost.” I guess we’ll see if that true!

We talked the other day about when to plant potatoes. Some said Easter, we always heard St. Patrick’s Day.

Just thought I’d throw it out there to see if there are others you remember or go by?

I know there are more but I can’t think of them at the moment!
MattA United States of America

Re: Old sayings / wives tales

Post by MattA »

We like to use when the forsythia blossoms as the time to fertilize the lawn.
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

It was may 24 weekend where I grew up less than an hour from here . But things have changed over the years and we are sheltered a lot where our garden is . Every year is different , but . We usually start mid April for frost hardy plants and will finish mid May . There is always still a chance of frost until June so we just try to make sure we are ready to cover some plants .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

May 24 weekend was planting time here too. But. Normal end of frost date here is June 10. We had a bad frost third week of June here a few years ago. All my potatoe plants had grown to about 6” tall by then. All plants black, killed by the frost. But they all continued to grow and had a great crop. :106:
Years ago some people would plant by what ever the moon was doing. And some would not kill pigs until a certain moon. I doubt if any of that is done today.

Noel