Plowing

It's ground engaging time. Seeds, manure, soil, and everything that goes with them. But that's not all. Cutting and hauling wood, chainsaws and the works!
JSinMO United States of America

Plowing

Post by JSinMO »

Since we had a recent discussion on plowing I thought I’d share how I set my plow up. First the disclaimers. I’m not a plowing expert. There are plenty of good videos out there showing plow set up. This is how I learned to do it and it works for me, your mileage may vary. I use a Farmall M to plow, but your plow will be matched to your tractor so I don’t think tractor size or type really matters. Now on with it!

After I mount the plow I pull the outside side wheel, that is to say the wheel that WILL NOT be in the furrow, up on a block to represent the depth I want to plow. If I want to go 6” deep I pull up on a 6” block
39EA93BC-C36B-4231-A2A4-84DBE6D9304C.jpeg
Next I lower the plow to the ground and level it as best I can front to back, and side to side
1F0B4D14-0DBC-4E8E-82B7-DE0BB8E3FA58.jpeg
This is my base adjustment. Then I head to the field and start my first pass. If I’m not happy with it I make adjustments from there till I am.
Here are the results I get in dry ground. It’s certainly not competition worthy, but fine for my garden.
C37AD9A0-EC9B-462F-987C-197E987FFCEC.jpeg
After looking at the job @Harry did I think his work was better!

Once I’m done I scrap the plow off and coat with oil and then spray what ever cheap spray paint I have laying around on it so it doesn’t get rusty. A shiny plow is your friend! A rusty one will pull hard and you won’t be happy with the results. I also try to hold a moderate speed, it helps the dirt roll off the plow.

Now here a tip on what not to do. Don’t leave your good 15” adjustable wrench on the tractor while you plowing! Thank goodness I have a metal detector because the wrench fell off the tractor and I plowed it under!
I found 2 nails, a shotgun shell hull, and a waded up piece of wire before I found the wrench.
54A318B0-C388-481D-87BC-781B5F4A7D5B.jpeg
That’s the end of my plowing ramble, I hope there’s a useful tip or two in there! I’m curious to know if you guys have a preferred method for plowing.
Eugen Canada

Re: Plowing

Post by Eugen »

Good advice Jeff, I used the same method to set up my plow. My Brinly plow attaches to a sleeve hitch, and has three holes on which the plow can attach to the hitch. The manual tells you which hole to use depending on the distance between the garden tractor rear holes.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Great ramble Jeff. That is the way I’ve seen fellas set it up. But, if you were in a plow match it would be hard to do a crown at the start of your plowing, with that setting. You would have to make two passes to make your crown, before you set the plow to your method. And if you are doing a split crown, jumpins, that’s a whole different story.

This is coming from a plowing expert. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: Hehe I’m no plowing expert that’s for sure. But I did get two second place finishes at our plow match in August. Just flukes for sure.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Propane57 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:47 am Great ramble Jeff. That is the way I’ve seen fellas set it up. But, if you were in a plow match it would be hard to do a crown at the start of your plowing, with that setting. You would have to make two passes to make your crown, before you set the plow to your method. And if you are doing a split crown, jumpins, that’s a whole different story.

This is coming from a plowing expert. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: Hehe I’m no plowing expert that’s for sure. But I did get two second place finishes at our plow match in August. Just flukes for sure.

Noel
I have a distinct feeling that you're kinda holding back Noel! :D :spin:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Propane57 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:47 am Great ramble Jeff. That is the way I’ve seen fellas set it up. But, if you were in a plow match it would be hard to do a crown at the start of your plowing, with that setting. You would have to make two passes to make your crown, before you set the plow to your method. And if you are doing a split crown, jumpins, that’s a whole different story.

Noel
I have to agree with @Eugen on this one. I think your hedging a little bit! :D