Moldboard plowing

It's ground engaging time. Seeds, manure, soil, and everything that goes with them. But that's not all. Cutting and hauling wood, chainsaws and the works!
Harry United States of America

Moldboard plowing

Post by Harry »

Today was my first attempt at moldboard plowing. I had a single bottom plow that I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago. I fabricated a sleeve hitch and a Reese hitch attached to it a few years ago. I changed it slightly to fit the plow to it and I didn't have the right angle on the plow. So, I removed a bolt and changed the angle then clamped it with a heavy-duty clamp. I fit it unto the 444 and right from the start it appeared to be working well. The more I plowed the engine just seemed to be not powerful enough to keep the tractor moving. I would then lift the plow and it would move then slowing drop the plow to get it cutting. I can tell there is a few things I need to do to change the situation. One is my 646 would have been a better choice because it has a 3 pt hitch. It was a few issues currently like low compression on one cylinder and needs to be looked at this winter. Two the plow had no depth adjustment which would help out a lot also. Currently there is one listed on C/L that has an adjustment at a good price. Already been in touch with the seller. I know in time I'll get better at it, but the first attempt was satisfying.

Keep the :peace: :cop:
Harry
Attachments
IMG_2392.JPG
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
propane1 Canada

Re: Moldboard plowing

Post by propane1 »

That Harry is very nice plowing. You need to enter a garden tractor plow match. You’d win.

Noel
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Looks good Harry, :thumbsup: a little learning curve and adjusting and you'll be having so much fun the whole yard will be turned over. :109:
:geek: Tim
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I think you did a fine job Harry! :thumbsup: I know what you mean about it being satisfying.

You said the plow doesn’t have a depth adjustment, it sounds like it was trying to run too deep. If that’s the case then the tractor would either run out of power or spin out.
I’m thinking if you could get the depth set where you want it your 444 may pull it fine.

I get the feeling your gonna disc it down so you can plow it again in the spring!
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Lots of videos on garden tractor plowing on you tube. I watch a lot of antique tractor and garden tractor plowing.

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Nice job Harry . The soil looks quite rich there . I have only ever plowed once here when we first broke ground for the garden . I used the nieghbors Ford 3000 and 2 up plow . I got it done , but even in the sandy soil here it was not pretty sight .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@Harry , your experience is similar to mine, before I put some time in setting it up correctly. This document we have in the manuals section helped me understand how the plow works.

https://manuals.ccigt.com/gardening/plowingtheory.pdf

As I said before, I really like going with the moldboard plow once, before I till. It is a nice feeling seeing the soil get turned by the plow, and feeling the smell of dirt.

I have first used a 220, then a 226, then my 446, and lately just the 644. If the plow is pointing too much downward and seeks to go deeper and deeper, I think you'll get stuck with a 25 hp motor just as well. If it's configured properly the plow will cut nicely through the ground and turn the soil over to the previous furrow.

The alternative to too much fumbling around with it is to add a depth setting wheel to the plow. @Propane57 has some pictures of that I think, and I was planning to do that too, so it's easier and faster to get results.

In any case, your garden looks nice @Harry! And you can feel good for doing the traditional Fall plowing like any good farmer does! :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I did purchase the other moldboard plow this morning. It has a dept adjustment and the coulter wheel is adjustable. The depth setting wheel sounds like a good idea. I'm sure I can find a pic of one and add it to the new to me plow. Maybe Noel can post a pic? The seller also had a cultivator which I really didn't need, but he said he wanted rid of it. I asked him how bad he wanted to get rid of it? Package deal $80 for both, so I took it.

Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Around here that would be a steal of a deal. Glad you found it! :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Harry wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:52 pm I did purchase the other moldboard plow this morning. It has a dept adjustment and the coulter wheel is adjustable. The depth setting wheel sounds like a good idea. I'm sure I can find a pic of one and add it to the new to me plow. Maybe Noel can post a pic? The seller also had a cultivator which I really didn't need, but he said he wanted rid of it. I asked him how bad he wanted to get rid of it? Package deal $80 for both, so I took it.

Harry
You did alright with that deal Harry. :highfive: the plows usually go for a hundy more than that by me. :thumbsup:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace: