Simple Bearing Press

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Seabee United States of America

Simple Bearing Press

Post by Seabee »

Recently I was replacing the bearings in one of my Case/Ingersoll front wheels, and my friend who often helps we with projects around here said "Put that hammer down". I was going to lightly tap the bearings into the front wheel in front of me. That is what I had done forever on automotive, and Case/Ingersoll equipment.

He said "Why not use a Bearing Press". Of course, I didn't have a Bearing Press"!! So he says let's go to town.

We bought a reddy rod, 2 large washers and 2 smaller washers, and 2 nuts to fit the rod. Back home we went, and instead of cutting the rod off, we saved the whole thing in case we had a need for the rest of the rod for something later. 1) we threaded a nut, the smaller washer, and a Large washer onto the rod and ran them down about a foot onto the rod. 2) we stuck the rod thru the hub of the front wheel and on the other side of the wheel we put the large washer on first, then the small washer and finally the nut. So against the wheel on both sides was the large washer, then the slightly smaller washer, then the nut. 3)Paul held onto his side with the wrench, and I started tightening my side until the bearings were nicely seated in the hub on both sides of the wheel.

I should say were did use "Never Seize" on both sides of the hub and we put the bearings slightly into the hubs before our cheap "Bearing Press" was used. I probably will put the bearings into the mower decks this way in the future, as well. It is quick and easy! Just have to remember where I put the Press when I need it in the future!

Bill Moyer
Bill Moyer
Eugen Canada

Re: Simple Bearing Press

Post by Eugen »

Great tip Bill, thank you! :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

That is the low budget , yet just as effective on small stuff as the Hub Tamer bearing press I use .Same princple as the profectional equipment at diy budget
image.png
Why would I such big thing on such small parts , because I have it like a lot of other tools from years of wrenching cars . Or they just collect dust . :creeper:
A tip for those using the "budget " bearing press to keep the rod centered use some cheap masking tape on the rod . For the bearing that need to be pressed in by the outer race . Drive the centre out of the old one and hold it on to the new one with a few rounds of tape .
Thanks for sharing Bill . Most days I just do what I do with out realising that some poeple may nut know some of these things .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Thanks for the idea Bill. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Seabee United States of America

Re: Simple Bearing Press Update

Post by Seabee »

Actually for the front wheel press we used a 1/2" threaded rod and it fit nicely in what we were doing.

Bill
Bill Moyer